The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-02-2006, 03:12 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Works in FF, but not in IE

Thanks for a great product. I look forward to using it on my "real" forum after I have tested it and become familiar with it on my " test " place.

It works great in Firefox. However, in IE the link shows up and the link works, but the yellow box does not appear upon MouseOver. When I am in the VB admin CP the yellow box will appear, but when I am in the actual forum it does not.

The test thread is here: http://www.motionperformance.com/vbf...ad.php?t=31340

GAL is installed only in the "Messing Around" style so you will need to select that to see the problem.

The page loads fine, but when I MouseOver the GAL link the dreaded yellow triangle with the exclamation point appears to tell me there is an error on the page. Clicking on that symbol yields this error message:

When I view the source code this what appears on line 154:

font: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;

This line of code looks harmless to me...........

Here is the version of IE that I am running:

I had a friend check the page using his computer with IE and it seemed to work as intended for him. I guess there is something about my IE configuration that is causing the problem? Dunno.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Last edited by mikem79; 03-02-2006 at 03:17 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Looks fine here and It looks like we are using the same build?

Only problem I see is that the text is white so you cant read it on the yellow popup?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the quick response and the feedback that it works for you.

Here is a screen shot with the MouseOver the test word. No box, no text, no nothing (except for the aforementioned IE error symbol).

Here it is in FF, works great:

<headscratchon> ............. soon to be followed by <hairpullingon>. LOL .

Are certain settings required in IE to make GAL work properly? I tried turning off the pop up blocker but that did not make a difference.

Last edited by mikem79; 03-02-2006 at 04:02 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

aha. Its a style related issue.

I logged back in and changed styles. Your messing around style is what is conking it out. I suspect that maybe youve changed something with that style that is squiffing it out.

Try your other ones.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:01 PM

I think your sniffer is in good working order.....I tried it in a different style and it works.

Now, I have to try to figure out what it is about some of the styles that is butting heads with your nice pop up boxes in IE. Hmmmmmm.

Given that you know how your pop up boxes work better than anyone, can you provide me a few places to look?

Many thanks.

- Mike
Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 PM

errr... not too sure there. Can you look at the source and tell what is different?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:02 PM

Update:

I installed GAL on my "real" place and put up a test thread for some of the members of my forum. I asked them to try it out and report on which style they used and which browser they were using.

The good news is that GAL works with just about every browser as long as an unmodified VB style is being used. It bombs out in IE when I use one of my modified styles. Futher evidence to suggest that there is something about the modified style.

I am not a computer coder sort of guy, just someone who loves to build fast cars who happens to have a computer.......but I do the best that I can and am trying to catch up with the computer side of things (hopeless really, but better than not trying I suppose).

I viewed the source code of two pages that are identical except for the styles. In one case the GAL yellow box popped up, in the other it did not and gave me the aforementioned IE error. I can read html / javascript about as well as I can read Russian....but I gave it a shot.

<SherlockHolmesModeOn>
Both pages load normally, no error message. The error message appears the instant that I "mouseover" the GAL link. So, I viewed the source to look for the place(s) that the mouseover command is given. Here is exactly what the code says on that line:

<div id="GALBox" style="text-align: left;position: absolute; z-index: 100; visibility: hidden;" onmouseover="this.style.visibility='visible';" onmouseout="this.style.visibility='hidden';"></div><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/geek/ gal /clientscript/gal_popup.js"></script>

Here is what I think this says in American English: There is this little part of the screen that shows the GAL link. When the mouse in nowhere near it keep the yellow box hidden. When the mouse goes over it show the yellow box, when the mouse goes away again then hide the box. It does this by assigning a binary value to a variable called "this.style.visibility" (either "visibile" or "hidden"). Once we know the value of this variable then we call up "gal_popup.js" to actually show or hide the box.

So, does that mean that the problem arises somewhere inside the "gal_popup.js" code? Seems that way to me....but (again) I am an ignoramus about this stuff. Javascript may as well be Sanskrit. I took a peek at the code.......to no avail.

The IE error points to line number 154 which looks completely harmless in the source code for the page. My guess in that the line number is referring to the line in the javascript that is causing the problem?

I also copied the source code and dumped into Dreamweaver because it has some de-bugging features. I ran the debugger on both the page that works and the page that doesn't. It came up with a bunch of errors in a variety of browsers, but I did not see a different or additional error in the problematic page. However, I could easily have missed it from a combination of getting cross eyed, tired, and frustrated (combine all that with a healthy dose of ignorance and you have quite a cocktail).

The only other approach that I can think of right now is to start with the an unmolested style and slowly morph it into a clone of the modified style. Make one change, run GAL , see if that change is what causes it to barf, etc. This will be very time consuming, especially because Murphy's Law dictates that I won't find the problem until the last change is made (if at all).

<SherlockHolmesModeOff>

Getting this figured out is worth something to me (hint, hint). I am not complaining...just acknowledging the reality of buying something for $29 (or whatever it cost me). We now routinely throw out lower end appliances rather than fix them because they are so cheap as compared to the labor involved in fixing them. Same deal here. However, in this case I want this appliance to work....I could really put it to good use.

Please don't think I am busting your stones, far from it. I realize that you cannot anticpate all of the changes that each user will make to something as modular and flexible as VB.

Perhaps you have some other thoughts, theories, postulates, hypothesises, wild guesses, shots in the dark, etc.? Maybe you are available for hire to figure it out?

Thanks again.

- Mike

Last edited by mikem79; 03-03-2006 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-03-2006, 04:52 PM

Hey Mike,

Im not 100% sure what the problem is here. There are hundreds of boars running this and the earlier version and this is the first time I have seen it.
I have tested on all of your styles (think there is about 7) and all work fine except for the messing around style.
The other thing to take note of is that you have ajavascript floating menu in this style. It may be worth putting that in another style that DOES work to see if maybe there is some odd conflict with it.

Well get it sorted
Old 03-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Sam,

Thanks for your attentiveness to the matter.....although I am a bit peeved at you for not somehow knowing that I was missing a set of </tr></table> closing tags in the header of the styles that didn't work. In the old days $29 bought a neat software utility with a free session of clairvoyance thrown in.

It only took me 3/4 of a day to find the problem. I am getting better. A month ago I would have taken me a week to figure this out.

- Mike
Old 03-03-2006, 10:02 PM

my dial-a-phsycic was out to lunch