The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Turn Synopsis field into a embed video

Hello, I wanted to use gars to display embed videos from google and youtube and others video places if possible.. Where I can set a type, module, etc.. in gars for the forum to act like a video display page right into forumdisplay section.

So the user would create a thread, in the newthread the user will have a select box to select identify where the video is from.. (i.e Google, YouTube), and then a text field to enter video id. and in the synopsis box it will display the correct embed code of either google or youtube.

I was trying to make this myself but my php knowledge limitation got me stuck in every direction I tried to go thru..

For example:

I tried the google.php manual to ad adsense that geek posted.. I.E

made a file called embed_videodisplay.php:
Code:
<?PHP
if ($stage == "display")
{
eval('$output.="' . fetch_template('GARS_embed_videodisplay') . '";');
}
elseif($stage == "settings")
{
print_description_row("This module will display Embed video from Google & YouTube");
}
?>
And inside GARS_embed_videodisplay template:
Code:
<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId={param}" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" salign="TL"  FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"> </embed>
Then added the mod to gars and put it to show on a specific module, but this way I don't know how to add value of {param} requested by the template.

I pretty sure is not as simple as I'm trying to put it together.. I'd also tried following the link directory mod but I didn't even quite know where to start on that.

So geek, or anyone else that is capable of directing me to the right path or simply tell me how to get synopsis to read html and display it on forumdisplay(this way I can add the embed code from whatever site and it will show the video on forumdisplay). Or if anyone is willing to code this, I throw in some bucks if necessary..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gldtn; 01-05-2007 at 07:17 AM..
Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm... thats the 1.x way of doing a module. The 2.x way breaks up the stages into seperate files in seperate folders called display, settings, etc... I would suggest taking a look at the references module. That would give you a good indication of how to do the module.

Looks like it should work though