The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default When posts are deleted Ratings Stay

Geek, I know you mentioned this is not a bug, but it still concerns me. here's the post I listed in the bug tracker to get all up to speed.

Quote:
I added some ratings to a thread from a registered user. Then Deleted them via the web interface. The posts are gone, yet the rating stays.
Steps to Reproduce

1. Add Reply to a review to a post so that a member rating is shown in the rating module.
2. Physically remove that post while logged in as an admin.
3. You should notice that the post is gone but the rating stays.
geek's reply:

Quote:
I see what you mean, however its the same with a threadrate. The rating is tied to the thread, not the post so its not really very easy to delete if its the only post. Remember that they dont even need to post in order to rate
http://www.thevbgeek.com/tracker/ind...md=view&id=159

My concern lies with a resource list I am building. What happens if someone spams a resource listing and either jacks up or beats down a rating. I can easily delete the posts, yet how do i change the rating? Other than creating a new thread and moving the "good posts" into that one, which I'm not sure is possible.

As for not needing to post in order to rate, I thin there is a setting to require people to post in order to rate. I am requiring that my members post a certain length of text in order to rate so as to hopefully keep the ratings a little truer.

I know this is something that is not easily fixed, I'm just looking at a workaround in case someone spams.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Since a spammer could only rate once, I wouldnt think it would warp things out of context too much. A good solution would be to have a ratings editor, however I doubt we will see this really soon as it would take awhile to do.

For a workaround, I would edit their post first, change their rating and then delete.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I think it makes sense. I guess I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.