The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Couple of questions!

1) Where do the custom fields appear on the review/article page itself? They appear on the input form, but then are never seen again. Am I missing a toggle somewhere?

2) Is there any way to have a member's reviews (or articles) listed in a profile tab on their member profile?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: Go to the ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> click the module set containing the custom fields -> click the Custom Fields link -> tick the Yes box for those custom fields you want to appear on the page -> Save.

2: No, you'd need to do something like this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165554
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
1: Go to the ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> click the module set containing the custom fields -> click the Custom Fields link -> tick the Yes box for those custom fields you want to appear on the page -> Save.
Thanks.

I'm trying to follow those directions, but the last step doesn't match your description. I've done this:

Go to the ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> click the module set containing the custom fields

I get a page where I can select in dropdown menus where I want various modules to appear on the page (in header, right of content, etc.). I don't, however, have any checkboxes for custom fields, or anything in which I could click a "Yes" box.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Click the Custom Fields link, not use the drop down menu.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Click the Custom Fields link, not use the drop down menu.
Ah, I'm not being clear.

There is no reference to custom fields at all. No link, no checkbox, the words don't even appear on the page.

Here is a screenshot of the page at the end of "ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> click the module set containing the custom fields". As you can see, "Custom Fields" doesn't appear anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (105.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Double check that you did all of these steps when setting up the GARS custom fields:
  • Set up a custom field via the ACP -> GARS -> Custom Fields
  • Add the custom fields module via the ACP -> GARS -> Modules
  • Set the custom fields options by clicking the Custom Fields link
  • Tick the custom fields to use via the ACP -> GARS -> Types
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Double check that you did all of these steps when setting up the GARS custom fields:
  • Set up a custom field via the ACP -> GARS -> Custom Fields
  • Add the custom fields module via the ACP -> GARS -> Modules
  • Set the custom fields options by clicking the Custom Fields link
  • Tick the custom fields to use via the ACP -> GARS -> Types
Yep, all that is done. I've managed to tell it to put the custom field in the header. But it still isn't showing up.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

As the custom fields appear on the input form, the step that was probably missed is the third one, i.e., the one where you posted a screenshot. Go to the ACP -> GARS -> Modules -> click the module set containing the custom fields and look for a Custom Fields link. If you don't see it, try looking at a different module set. If you cannot find it, and want me to investigate, PM me admin level ACP access with Can Admin GARS permission.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM

No worries, Morgan, I figured it out. Thanks for the help!

I don't suppose there's a way to make those fields clickable/searchable is there? I'm using it as a reviews system, and in the custom fields I'm entering Author, Publisher and so forth. It would be cool to click on the author's name to see all reviews of products by that author.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Untested, but one idea would be to created your own template, use it in the ACP custom fields settings, where the $value is surrounded by an A HREF anchor tag that links to the vB search.