The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic
What I have done is to disable the vBA left column on all pages and modified THIS hack. You can see it at work HERE, though it's not a finished work.
If you want, I can post the modified version here, though I would have to get the permission from the author first.

nice site but i couldnt see the images from GARS in your vba portal
Old 05-08-2006, 09:48 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon420
nice site but i couldnt see the images from GARS in your vba portal
Ah, I now see what you mean. I do apologise, I thought you meant the problem with the left column..
Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Thumbs up

Quote:
What I have done is to disable the vBA left column on all pages

If you want, I can post the modified version here, though I would have to get the permission from the author first.
I know what you mean. Those double left column are to cluttered. That's once reason I don't want a portal. I use that hack also and code in conditionals to not show on the forums I have GARS installed in.

As to 2.0 I like the new user interface. More visual on the eye as to how the layout of the thread/forum will look. Love it!

One question though. How are modules registered now? Will we need to follow a different format for creating new modules? Okay that was 2 ooops.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King
I will wait for the zend optimizer
Considering I have other apps that will only work with Zend, I will be waiting as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmist
Make sure when you load it like it is in the site options on your local machine to call the scripts from (example: http://localhost/foldertoforum not 127.0.01.)
Thank you! That did the trick and I am now a happy camper
Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey all.

Zend should be coming this week (haven't downloaded and played with it yet).
I haven't made a vba Add on - There are a couple of those about though.

The community for phpbb and vb is so big because NOT because of the fact you can read the source, but because they are large scale applications with loads of add ons released. How many 'add ons' for one of those projects have as big of a community? Not many.
It helps to see the source to create modifications - however even after a year, there are few modifications for geek products.
People just don't make 'mods' for 'mods' anymore and therefore there really is no need to be able to examine the source.

Regardless - I'm just tired of seeing buttwads uploading their packages to their friends sites. I'm sick of fake PayPal reclaims and charge backs which cost me 50% MORE than the sale and the morons are still using the product (in other words; I get the money taken from my account, charged £10 and they are still using the product on their site). I need a way to be able to protect myself and my customers

HTHs
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Hey all.
People just don't make 'mods' for 'mods' anymore and therefore there really is no need to be able to examine the source.
I really dont think this is the case, as i am constantly modifying my sites even thou I may not share my mods with others.
I can understand you wanting to protect your products and respect that however if this is the case (not being able to see the source) then I would like you to support the largest used VB portal "vba".
Does the current vba module work with Gars2?

regards
your paying and non refunding customer
Old 05-09-2006, 11:04 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder 

Quote:
What I have done is to disable the vBA left column on all pages and modified THIS hack. You can see it at work HERE, though it's not a finished work.
Please post the modified version if possible!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder 

However, I would not like the vBa boxes disabled, but all the boxes in one frame as I have specialized boxes that I want to keep on my frontpage...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:50 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Between the built in module system, templates, phrasing, and custom fields - I just don't see a need to have access to the source of the core class - but thats just me. The bottom line is that if I continued to 'pay out' to script kiddies I would have to either raise the price to something reasonable or not continue development. So think of 2.0 as a bonus for those that don't mind encoded source

As far as vbacmps goes - its really no different than asking Brian to support GARS and create GARS modules. He might do it, however the reality is that its not his product, so he shouldn't be expected to code for it.
I have said I will look into creating a small 'api' module, however the time I spend doing that is the time I don't spend developing products.
I would rather have a stable, released 2.0 than a module for an unstable 2.0