The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Testers for GARS on vB4

If you want to be a GARS on vB4 tester, just let me know. If there is enough interest, testers will then get access to GARS for vB4 to test out and make reports of problems, and be sure, there will be problems. GARS is not meant for a live vB4 site, and no support will be offered. What this is is a way to get through the problems and get a production worthy version of GARS for vB4 available. Below is a screenshot of GARS on vB4 as it looks today.

Note that this does not mean that GARS will work on vB4 exactly like it worked on vB3. It is not a simple wave of the hand to get an add-on the size of GARS, written pre vB4, to work on vB4 or else it would have already been done. Some features will be deleted, others changes, and so forth to get a production worthy version of GARS for vB4. The goal is to make GARS into a vB4 compatible version.

All of the GARS templates have been made vB4 compatible. Compatibility means that there are tables in the GARS templates with additional CSS to give the vB4 look and feel. There was a lot of manual labor that went into dealing with the GARS templates, so much so that there were times I became quite nauseous dealing with them, so this is likely the last time I will be "compatibilitizing" templates.

As I wrote before, my intentions were good, but my productivity was not. One reason was the templates, gobs and gobs of HTML. Another reason was how the vB4 code changed. Once example is moving the cache_templates hook from the global scope into a function and changing where it ran in the code. Things like this invariably cause problems trying to update something written specifically for pre vB4 code. It is just a headache all around, not something enjoyable.

Now some of you have moved on, understandable, and some of you check back now and then but don't say much, other offer nice words that I appreciate, but there are ones that are just nails in the coffin. Sure there are many reasons for not working on these scripts, and frustration is understandable, but uncalled for comments are icing on the cake, so this is also likely the last time I will be upgrading this code.

Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Great, I would like to test it. Let me know if a valid license is needed and I will renew asap.
I understand your feelings morgan, I think it was a hard time for all of us.
Don't know if you know it but a lot of us are very dependent on GARS or even loving it because there isn't anything comparable, it's even questionable if a cms content type will be on par.
No doubt I was one of those who did some assumed "nails in the coffin" and I'm very sorry for some hard words but I think there were some mistakes happened on both sides.
Thanks for your work.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

I would also like to have access and help with this, if a renewal or new licence is required that's no problem.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks, a purchase will not be needed to be a tester. I'm working on some code now, and later am planning on packing up GARS for vB4 so testers can access it.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM

....sad to see support for 3x gone. Since I won't ever be using vB4 I guess I'll have to find other solutions for my site.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 PM

I'm so happy this thing is moving now, and would like to help the best I can. I don't have any coding skills, but I'm willing to install this on my vb4 playgrund and have a go for it, setting it up like I plan to do on my live-site. Best news for a looong time :-)
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRobWhatever View Post
....sad to see support for 3x gone. Since I won't ever be using vB4 I guess I'll have to find other solutions for my site.
I've been using GARs on my high traffic vb3 sites for years without the need for support, it's such a great simple to use tool there really isn't much need for support.

@morgan

Any news on the vb4 package yet as I'm itching to get started.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM

I will be interested as well to join the testers.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
I've been using GARs on my high traffic vb3 sites for years without the need for support, it's such a great simple to use tool there really isn't much need for support.
Couldn't agree more.
I did dip a (very brief) toe in the murky vB4 waters, but the lack of GARS drove me back.
I would be happy to test out GARS on vB4 on one of my dev machines. Are we supposed to PM you Morgan, or just make our intentions apparent here?
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

me too,

Please send me related information to test it on vb4.

regards...
Closed Thread