The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.1.5 Release Discussion

I'm pleased as punch to deliver a heaping helping of GARS loving straight to your door.

Please read this thread (at least this freaking post!) as it contains important information regarding upgrading and installing GARS 2.1.5

Whats new?

Several bug fixes. In fact, every confirmable bug has been fixed - several related to specific configurations of ratings causing odd results.
Several template fixes have also been made. Specifically the GARS_forumdisplay, GARS_pb and GARS_rating_result_bits2. If you have these templates changed, please be sure to revert them (the GARS_pb is only a minor change so that is optional)

There are not really any new features except a new clean up tool I put in to assist those having problems with duplicate author ratings. For more information on this 'feature/fix' please refer to this bug tracker entry: http://www.thevbgeek.com/tracker/ind...md=view&id=292

Please remember that any add ons installed through the GARS importer will need to be re imported (this time with the option of importing only the templates and phrases) after you upgrade gars.

Please note that you may also have to rebuild your custom field phrases.

Installation and upgrade instructions can be found on the download page through your license manager.

Leave this thread for discussion of the release. Open bugs in the tracker and keep troubleshooting in their own threads.

nJoy
Old 03-05-2007, 03:06 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I cannot find upgrading instructions. They are not on the downloads page, and when I downloaded the new release, the upgrade link in the readme doesn't go anywhere. There is only a link to the installation manual here but it doesn't seem to cover upgrading.

I am assuming I just overwrite all the files and re-upload the product? I'm going to give it a shot and hope I don't break it. :P
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldoulas View Post
I cannot find upgrading instructions. They are not on the downloads page, and when I downloaded the new release, the upgrade link in the readme doesn't go anywhere. There is only a link to the installation manual here but it doesn't seem to cover upgrading.

I am assuming I just overwrite all the files and re-upload the product? I'm going to give it a shot and hope I don't break it. :P
Oh yes! Me too!
Ot is work without problem The Geek?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

huh - swore I put them in there sorry!

To upgrade, simply upload the new package to the appropriate locations (overwriting your previous files)
Upload the product xml (choosing to overwrite).

Make sure though that you reimport the template/phrases of any custom add ons afterward and check that your custom field phrases have been rebuilt.

HTHs
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Hello,
excuse me. Has been this bug http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2392 fixed in this new version?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 04:11 PM

Its not a bug - its a limitation (which I have explained several times now)
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Oh excuse me.
Has this limitation been solved ? if not, will it ever be solved?

Thanks

Last edited by Black_Widow; 03-05-2007 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM

If I could solve it, I would - sadly it does not appear that I can do without vb file edits and massive reworkings of the vB files. If I could find a way to solve it - you can bet I would... It just appears that I can't
Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Well cant you contact vbulletin and see if they can put in some hooks for you so you can complete it? or something along those lines?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM

The problem isnt hook placement, its how posts are constructed. In order to be able to do what widow is asking - I would have to loop through the posts FIRST to get a count of posts - then extract the first post - then reprocess as normal. As it is now, vB does the query for the posts (sorted as per settings) and creates the posts AS it loops through the results. In this case, it would result in the first post of the page ending at the bottom.

Hope that makes sense.