The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Just purchased Gars!

Hi everyone, I just purchased this wonderful software for our humble forums.
We are running a News and Reviews forum which I plan to use Gars in.

I was wondering if there was a way to setup Gars so that it can be either or(article or review) style at the point of submission?

Thanks very much for this great addon and I look forward to using it.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

After installation you are able to set up which forums act as any particular type. So a person posting in an 'Article' forum would automatically create an article etc...

Or did you mean something entirely different
Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic
After installation you are able to set up which forums act as any particular type. So a person posting in an 'Article' forum would automatically create an article etc...

Or did you mean something entirely different
Yes sorry, my inital post was not as clear as I have imagined it
We have a News and Reviews forum(posts both types) I wanted to know if we could at the time of posting choose Review profile or an Article profile since either or would be present under the same forum.

Hope this makes more sense
Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 AM

Hmmmm.... two in one, never thought of that. Sorry, no idea m8. Over to you boss
Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey there, no there isnt a way to do that. Basically youre asking to have someone posting in a forum determine which forum to make the post in.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:14 PM

Is there a difference in modules between article and review?
I guess I may be premature in asking this(I haven't gotten to that point yet)
But I am going on the assumption that they are inherent differences between an article(layout) and review(layout) and so I wondered if a user could decide which layout or style to post with when he or he submits.

However both would take place in the same forum since the forum is called News and Reviews.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You can only assign 1 type to a forum, therefore you can only have 1 term set, 1 template set and 1 module set. If all you are wanting to do is create a flag that says 'this is a review' or 'this is an article', then a custom field may work for you.

HTHs
Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Ah good idea(flag)
BTW are there any difference in the layouts between article and review? fields etc?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 AM

There are differnent terms and module sets out of the box though I suppose you could tweak that so its more generic. However I think its not very intuitive for a user. Personally I would have a forum called News and Reviews that contains 2 sub forums: 'News' and 'Reviews'.

HTHs
Old 11-22-2006, 08:26 PM

We used to run separate forums in the past, however our forums are already nester deeply and so we are working hard to reduce the overall layout depth. We have relied on a News and Reviews forum for sometime now and we seem to of hit a wall with Gars and vBadvanced

initially we used an external news/reviews script Coranto and pulled it all into a vBadvanced page using some hacks and such. However since Gars is better integrated with vBulletin it seems better to take this route, however... I fear in the process we have lost the ability to post news and review synopsis into our website fontend(vBadvance)

What are the chances of pulling article content into vbadvanced? if we could get the synopsis alone that would be more than enough imo. but I am reluctant to enable Gars and loosing the front end interactivity on our website.