The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Review rating displayed in threadbit

How difficult would it be to make the overall rating from the rating module available for display in the threadbit in the showforum view?

One of my users suggested that this would be nice when browsing the Movie Review forum. To be able to tell at a glance what the review author rated the movie.

On a related note, I think that I understand the reasoning behind the way that you chose to format the overall rating as a percentage of total points possible in all categories, and that this is really the only way such a display is possible if you allow seperate categories to be ranked on a different scale (different min/max) The usability problem with such a generic solution though is that if you set up something like a movie review forum, and standardize all of the ratings for each category on a 1-5 scale with 1/2 step increments, an overall rating of 87% isn't nearly as intuitive to the enduser as a rating of 4.35 would be.

Additionally, since I just reminded myself of it: If you set a rating category to have a minimum of 1 and maximum of 5 with 1/2 step increments, then users can still enter a rating of .5 (which seems odd since you set the minimum at 1) I didn't actually test this, and can't imagine off the top of my head why someone would want to do it, but I would be curious to see whether or not setting a minimum of 5 and a max of 10 with 1/2 step increments resulted in a lowered minimum as well... I will probably try this next time I am messing around if no one beats me to it and I remember it.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You're on a roll with some good ones

I am working on a new custom thread fields option in GARS that will make the threadbit option more of a doable reality. As it stands now, it would require too much overhead to show that data on a threadbit page. In other words; its in the works

I see your point about the rating, however it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a solution there. 83% of 5 is 4.15 therefore you just need a way to add a whole number to show instead of percent. Therefore you could say you want to show the % of x. That would also help in displaying graphics for overalls (i.e. 4/5 stars).

I haven't tested your last point though I suppose you are most likely right. Ill check into it.