The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:11 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

will we loose any of our current articles when upgrading?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:29 AM

dont know if this is a new bug or not but when you click on the I want to rate it! text under reviews it opens a new screen with this page not found http://www.modbox360.com/testvb/revi...php?do=rate&t=
Old 10-26-2005, 05:22 AM

Default when will be the expected final release?

When should we expect the final release?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:34 AM

Well done on the fabulous new admin layout and new features but I have a couple of quarms.

Was something changed that would prevent $post variables able to be shown in added modules and their respective templates?

Because I had a module that would display some quick info about the review like game platform, release date and other stuff from the GARS table but it would also display the title and reviewer (thread poster) and stuff from the post table in the same template. Now that I've upgraded the $post variables aren't being parsed to the template but everything else is.

Also can you PLEASE add a top module position. It's easy enough for me to add but a pain in the arse to do it each time I upgrade.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:38 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Yea, thats causing a few hicups right now.

The modules now run in a seperate function so most variables are out of scope for the modules now. This is a good thing as it stops people accidently overwriting local variables.
All you need to do is put global $post; in your module and you will be fine.
Im tweaking a couple mods here to sort a few problems that users have brought up overnight before I head off to work.

Im not sure what you mean by a top module. Theres one in there (I assume you mean something else though?)

Thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 07:45 AM

Okalie dokalie. Post variables are working now thank you sooo much. =)

As for the top mod position. This is the beginning of my GARS_pb

Code:
<!-- Article #$post[postid] -->
<if condition="$show['spacer']">
	$spacer_open
	<div id="edit$post[postid]" style="padding:0px 0px $stylevar[cellpadding]px 0px">
</if>
<if condition="$post['GARS_modposition7']">
	$post[GARS_modposition7]
</if>
<table class="tborder" id="post$post[postid]" cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="$stylevar[cellspacing]" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
<!-- GAR -->
<if condition="$post['GARS_modposition1']">
    <tr>
        <td class="alt1" valign="middle" align="center" colspan="$post[GARS_columns]">
            $post[GARS_modposition1]
        </td>
    </tr>
</if>
See how modposition7 is outside the table. =)

Also, what exactly does the gallery feature do, because it doesn't seem to be working for me. =/

Thanksies. ^_^
Old 10-26-2005, 07:54 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Package updated to beta4b. This primarily addresses variable scope problems with modules. Simply download the latest package and replace the contents of your geek/gars/includes and geek/gars/mods folders.
This will fix 99% of problems brought up over the past night.

Webby: Huh. Uh, its a top secret mod location that isnt used. Dont know why its there. It looks like it was going to be a top level placement. Ill have to look into the code to make sure I dont have it slated for anything.
The gallery feature allows you to upload pictures for others to chose from when making an article. This is for people who operate in safe mode, dont want chmoded folders on their server, and/or people who want a variety of images, but all to stay consistant.
If you cant upload via the gallery manager, then simply ftp images to geek/gars/images/type/(typeid) folder.

HTH's
Old 10-26-2005, 08:00 AM

No that's MY GARS_pb edited to add the top position mod placement.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 AM

Oh right

Currently, you cant 'create' more mod placements (at least without a file edit). Are you asking for a new mod placement?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 AM

Well I have to say that even though I am not using this right now, it is looking excellent thanks Geek.

Quote:
GARS is still a beta and therefore should only be installed by experienced users. Saying that, it looking pretty sweet now.
Because I am not an experienced user and this appears very much in beta stages, I will wait until a more stable and maybe user friendly (newbie) version is released, then I will enjoy making good use of such useful addition.

All the best
Closed Thread