The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-03-2006, 07:07 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 1.01 Release Discussion

This thread is for the general discussion of the GARS 1.01 release package that was uploaded today for license holders.

Please note that I have left the 1.0g version up as well. Make sure you chose the right freaking package!

This release was slightly pre-mature in the fact that I was mid-flow starting to put the custom field code in. So you may notice a couple new tables and some extra bits of code, however this isn't usable yet.

This release is a standard service release to address known issues. This package addresses the following reported bugs:
  • Missing comments and odd numbering of comments
  • Member review problems (i.e. rating not getting saved unless rate this! is used)
  • Clicking Next or Previous on an alpha sorted type doesn't work as expected (now it does!)
  • noquote code added to GARS_pb reply button (this requires a GARS_pb template revert if you have messed with it)
  • Added new admincp url to empty the mod cache if its acting odd on you. The url is admincp/gars_admin.php?do=cleancache
  • Fixed synopsis getting snipped regardless of your settings
  • Cleaned up snip_and_parse function for PHP5 users
  • Various other minor fixes.
There are still a couple other things I'm working on:
  • Couple of hard coded phrases. Haven't gotten to these yet. Gotta find them!
  • Started 'comments only on last page' but commented option out till I have more time to test
  • Started custom thread fields. This still has a little way to go
  • Started ground work for Save Draft functionality.
If there are any other issues I may have missed, accept my apology. Bugs can get kind of lost on these forums. I'm working on a bug tracker mod for GARS, but am trying to get some of the other functions sorted first.
If there is something I have missed, please feel free to give me a friendly nudge in this thread.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Forgot to say:

To upgrade, overwrite all physical files and import the product-gars.xml file (overwriting your existing install)

nJoy
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

This upgrade will not wipe out any current settings, data, articles, etc....correct?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:05 PM

correct. They are safe and sound. Only problem you will run into is if you uninstall it.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:49 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
This release was slightly pre-mature in the fact that I was mid-flow starting to put the custom field code in. So you may notice a couple new tables and some extra bits of code, however this isn't usable yet.
I'm getting excited!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:06 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

you are very fast, with your updates.. i like that
Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

When my members have linear - newest selected, they can't get the article content. The first post on each page is not the article, and the very first post (last page, bottom) is the article truncated. When I click the read more link, I am taken back to page 1 which has the latest posts.

I tested here, and the article is in fact the oldest post in the thread, but I am wondering if this forum has been updated to 1.01

*** UPDATE ***

If an article has enough comments to spill into multiple pages, in linear-newest mode, I go to the last page and the article is truncated.

If the article does not have enough comments to spill over to 2+ pages, the article is rendered at the bottom of the thread correctly. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by roscoe; 03-04-2006 at 07:54 PM..
Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Will I lose my translation when I upgrade?
Cause another admin told me that he lost his
Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
Will I lose my translation when I upgrade?
Cause another admin told me that he lost his
If you import the xml file you will loose it. Make it as I did, download your translated language and after upgrading import it again. Works very fine to me.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:11 PM

Nice update geek!

i guess u didn't notice something in the readme file(upgrade)

"Upload the product- gmart .xml file into your admincp product manager (be sure to tick the overwrite option). This will install the required DBs and phrases "

i guess it should be "product-gars.xml" for GARS...a small typo...

anyways...way to go