The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-02-2007, 01:33 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Couple of quick questions

Has anyone used GARS with RSS feeds to create the articles?

Is there a maximum number of forums that you can apply GARS to before it gives up?

If I set a forum with existing content to be a gars forum will I need to do anything else with it?

Whats the major advantages with 2.1.x over 1.0.x or the basic GAS? (yes I remember beta testing that one!)
Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hehe,

1- Yup.
2- Not that I know of
3- Not particularly, unless you wanted to upload header images and such.
4- GAS was really a template swapper for vB, essentially swapping out a set of vB templates with GAS ones. While it worked pretty nicely for a simple article solution, GARS takes it substantially further with the ability to create multiple groups of templates, modules, phrases, etc... to apply them to threads in a forum. The combinations are pretty limitless
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Ok, one more question (just renewed) how do you purchase branding free without having to buy a whole new license?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

pm sent
Old 06-02-2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks

One more (just setting up now)

I've got approx 200 forums to apply GARS to and they all have between 200 and 20,000 posts/threads in. Is there a nice query that I can run instead of having to do this manually? I'm only able to do one or two at once or it times out and doesn't update.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM

hmmm, not really. It is going through and adding entry points for each GARS row. I suppose that a set_timeout function would have come in handy here
Old 06-02-2007, 10:25 PM

I did warn you that it's a pretty unusual setup that I'm building didn't I?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:26 PM

ya

I know its ugly, but can you just set you max execution time really high for the assignment?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 PM

I'm just working through it a bit at a time. Gives me time to sort out some other things between sections though, so not a biggie.

Oh, how does the filter thingie work?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 PM

Here is an article on it

http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2582