The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-16-2006, 03:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Link Directory Module messed up the forum!

Facing an wired problem...

First i installed GARS 2 RC5 in my forum. then the link directory module. was working fine. then after updating to GARS 2 GOLD my forum just messed up. i cant view the forumhome level 2 (i mean if i go to any catagory, all the listening forums in that catagory not showing up.), also no thread list showing in forumdisplay, its redirecting to the Link Directory forum i created for the link module (but all threads still exist). But can go to any thread from forumhome page.

So i removed GARS module from my forum to check it. but looks like the link module still enabled some how. so how to resolve this problem & how can i remove all GARS settings. so that i can start again with GARS.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

And when i directly go to that Link Directory forum, im getting this db error

Code:
Database error in vBulletin 3.6.1:

Invalid SQL:
SELECT phrasegroup_GARS_5_phrases gars FROM language WHERE languageid=1;

MySQL Error  : Unknown column 'phrasegroup_GARS_5_phrases' in 'field list'
Error Number : 1054
Date         : Saturday, September 16th 2006 @ 01:39:27 PM
Script       : http://www.**********.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224
Referrer     : 
IP Address   : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Username     : Eros
Classname    : vb_database
& getting this, when trying to create a new thread..

Code:
Database error in vBulletin 3.6.1:

Invalid SQL:
SELECT phrasegroup_GARS_5_phrases gars FROM language WHERE languageid=1;

MySQL Error  : Unknown column 'phrasegroup_GARS_5_phrases' in 'field list'
Error Number : 1054
Date         : Saturday, September 16th 2006 @ 04:10:44 PM
Script       : http://www.********.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=224
Referrer     : http://www.********.com/dustbin/
IP Address   : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Username     : Eros
Classname    : vb_database
So how to completely remove the Link Directory module from GARS & the the GARS ?

Its urgent!! my forum is off right now :S

Last edited by Eros; 09-16-2006 at 08:13 PM..
Old 09-16-2006, 09:01 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The quickest way get your forum running, go ACP GARS settings and remove the link directory assignment from your forums. Looks you get the error because your link phrases are deleted after upgrading.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses
The quickest way get your forum running, go ACP GARS settings and remove the link directory assignment from your forums. Looks you get the error because your link phrases are deleted after upgrading.
I did this many times. also re imported the link.xml. But still. not working.

whr is Geek ?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I had that database error on one occasion.
I ended up having to totally uninstalling GARS and then re-installing GARS and then the Link directory.
I realise this is a bit of a pain, but it cured the problem.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic
I had that database error on one occasion.
I ended up having to totally uninstalling GARS and then re-installing GARS and then the Link directory.
I realise this is a bit of a pain, but it cured the problem.
Gothic, i did this not one but 2/3 times. but no result. also check my 1st post. thats too wired :S
Old 09-17-2006, 12:41 PM

bump... now this sucks.. is this the support ? :S

My forum is off since 24hrs.. & still got no solution...
Old 09-17-2006, 01:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Just uninstalled and re-installed three times on my development machine. Two times it went flawlessly, but after the second uninstall the column 'phrasegroup_GARS_5_phrases' was left behind, and when trying to re-install I was unsuccessful. I had to remove the entry manually.
All I can suggest is to take note of your database errors, and having removed GARS, remove the offending database entries, and then re-install.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic
Just uninstalled and re-installed three times on my development machine. Two times it went flawlessly, but after the second uninstall the column 'phrasegroup_GARS_5_phrases' was left behind, and when trying to re-install I was unsuccessful. I had to remove the entry manually.
All I can suggest is to take note of your database errors, and having removed GARS, remove the offending database entries, and then re-install.
Thanks Gothic, for you reply. would u mind to tell me how u manually removed that entry. I just completely lost in this. I uninstalled, reinstalled GARS many times. still no result. When GARS is removed. that database error is gone. but what left is.. evey forum just redirecting to that Link Directory forum created for link module. :S
Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM

Ah..... well it means going down to database level, and if you aren't familiar with messing with tables I'm not sure I want to go down that path. Lots of very bad things can happen
Geek should be back soon, be patient just a little longer, I don't really have the authority to go any further. sorry.