The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Uninstall GARS

Hi Geek. Very sorry to hear of your family business woes but I totally understand and respect that 'family comes first!' As you know I have several licenses of your products. I have moved my first GARS system over to another article system. How do I uninstall GARS from my board? I've already moved the articles and deleted the forums that used to be the GARS forums so I just need to remove the GARS AdminCP and files. Thanks for your help with this when you have time.

Also, if others are interested in purchasing GARS, etc. can I sell and license and transfer it to someone else? I'm assuming not and probably not a can of worms that you want to open, but I thought I'd ask since others have expressed an interest in buying more products.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Which another article system have you found?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I purchased the vBA Dynamics system. I bought the multiple instance license and have created Articles, Blogs and Recipes sections with it over the weekend.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCangler View Post
I purchased the vBA Dynamics system. I bought the multiple instance license and have created Articles, Blogs and Recipes sections with it over the weekend.
can you give us an update on how dynamics works for you and how it looks and stuff like that. Been looking at it a little bit but not gotten in to it to deep.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:14 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I'd like to know this too. I need to find a supported solution, and I have heavily integrated GARS with vBadvanced... and use a lot of custom fields, so I'm kind of hosed right now. I am getting a MySQL error now that has me kind of worried that something is going to corrupt my database. vBa Dynamics looked pretty dang confusing to me and so I'm not sure it will work the same way GARS did.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
vBa Dynamics looked pretty dang confusing to me and so I'm not sure it will work the same way GARS did.
I studied Dynamics a month ago. It is a large and complex script and it takes at least some hours to figure out all the possibiliites. Regarding GARS features, Dynamics has a lot article/GARSed liked features, but my first impression is that GARS is a little better for articles. The good thing about Dynamics is that you also can use the script for a lot of other things once you have learnt how the script works.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:37 AM

I might be interested in purchasing vbgeek and supporting the products while upgrading the entire system. I will either purchase this system or simply write my own. I will however offer a upgrade path for anyone using VBGEEK.

Ill keep everyone posted.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 AM

I've successfully installed vBa Dynamics for Blogs, Articles and a Recipe section on my site. I had Dynamics installed and imported all my GARS articles in a matter of an hour or so. It took a few hours to figure out how Dynamics works but my articles system looks very much like GARS now and in some ways is easier to use. I uninstalled the GARS package but the tables remain in the database. I guess I'm okay to delete those using phpMyAdmin. Anyone know any reason not to? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCangler View Post
It took a few hours to figure out how Dynamics works but my articles system looks very much like GARS now and in some ways is easier to use.
It looks like you've done well working Dynamics into your site.

Dynamics looks good, as there are so many different possibilities for it. The only downside for me is that it moves the articles into a separate area, whereas GARS integrated articles and tutorials right into the forums.

I have a relatively new forum that is built up around that inline integration, so I'm hanging on to the hope that GARS will continue to be developed, at some future point. If not, I will have to come up with a new plan.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:01 AM

I just manually deleted the 'articles_*' files from the database via phpMyAdmin. Clean uninstall. Thanks again Geek for a great product and I hope all is well with your family. If selling my vBgeek licenses is a possibility please let me know. I still have GARS on two other sites plus GAB , etc.