The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default 4.81 still not working right

It's never worked right. No matter what I do. I try to use this for only guests and it won't do it. It will show it to EVERY usergroup but the unregistered usergroup no matter what I check in the category section.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

In order for the usergroup to be exempt, all usergroups except the guest need to be ticked AND they must have the correct custom profile field set up to the value specified. What is the profile field and what is the value?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:36 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Ok this whole Profile field thing is confusing me. I don't understand what I am suppose to put here. What is the purpose of it? Why do I have to put in something like that when I don't want users to be allowed to exempt since I don't want anyone but guests to see it anyway? Sorry if I am not understand its just not clicking for me.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

No problem Brent

Basically by default, GAL is on for everyone. You can specify by category which usergroup is exempt if the profile field equates to a particular value.
The idea being that you have a 'premium' usergroup that doesnt want to see the 'popup ads' category, so they have a profile field that they can toggle to the 'off' position to disable the category.
In your situation where you only want GAL to appear for guests, what I would suggest is either surrounding the plugin code in GAL ini with :
if($vbulletin->user['userid']==0)
{
//regular plug in code here
}

or make a new custom profile field with a default value (so when they register, the value gets put into their field. Then make all usergroups except the guest group have the option to be exempt when the new custom field == the default value.

hmmm... I think I may have just confused the situation more

Let me know if that helps at all.