The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-24-2005, 12:59 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Deleted from vb.org

Well, a mere 24 hours or so after posting the beta of Geek Auto-link on vbulletin.org, the thread and its contents have been deleted by the admins because I dared mention that it would eventually be a commercial script.

Pretty lame considering all the time and work I have put in to providing free support and free kick ass modifications for vBulletin but I guess rules are rules. Its just sad to see that Jelsoft works so hard to pull blinds over their customers eyes just in case someone else may actually make a buck working on enhancements for their product. Geez, not even Microsoft are so paranoid!

Anyhooo... enough of me being jaded. Anyone wishing to Beta test GAL (or any of my scripts) drop me a PM and ill set you up with access to download. Please note however that it will be a paid script when it goes gold (not like £15 is going to make me money or break your bank account!).

nJoy. Im off to sulk.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:27 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

what was deleted? i can still see the geek auto link thread:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76054

is this it?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:52 AM

GeekMart License Holder 

He had a 3.5 port of it, which was actually i how I found this place.

Anyway, geek. I am sorry that you are experiencing this, and I hope all the best for you. The amount of time you have given to the vb community is only overshadowed by the quality products you provide for us.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 AM

thats bullshit!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94943
Old 08-24-2005, 07:19 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks bunny - very kind words.

I guess Im over it now. Im cool with the admins request to take it down (though I think the speedy deletion was a bit ott). They are only following orders and maybe this will help jump start a process for commercial modifications to become widelfy availible.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Well, a mere 24 hours or so after posting the beta of Geek Auto-link on vbulletin.org, the thread and its contents have been deleted by the admins because I dared mention that it would eventually be a commercial script.

Pretty lame considering all the time and work I have put in to providing free support and free kick ass modifications for vBulletin but I guess rules are rules. Its just sad to see that Jelsoft works so hard to pull blinds over their customers eyes just in case someone else may actually make a buck working on enhancements for their product. Geez, not even Microsoft are so paranoid!

nJoy. Im off to sulk.
Think of it as a blessing in disguise! Some of the largest and most successful GNU Projects and Shopping Cart programs have a thriving commercial development community supporting the programs and users alike.

Personally, I'm looking forward to working with your products and purchasing them! Just like I do with vbadvanced, x-cart, and mambo.

Develop on!
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-15-2005, 08:06 PM

I figured it was the only way I could continue to code. I dont charge to try and make a buck - I charge so that I can justify the ridiculous amount of time I have spent (and continue to spend) making some wicked vB enhancments. Without going commercial, I would have had to throw in the towel.

Bit of a bummer though - I always got a buzz from releasing massive projects on vB.org

Thanks for your support!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:17 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

mambo :O
i always tht mambo was free.

But you are right with the commercial part. I got the geek article system and it really is a superb hack. It was free for 3.0x which was itself amazing(when a worse review post hack goes for 100$ i think)
anyway 15pounds is not much for a grt and massive hack as this.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acers
mambo :O
i always tht mambo was free.

But you are right with the commercial part. I got the geek article system and it really is a superb hack. It was free for 3.0x which was itself amazing(when a worse review post hack goes for 100$ i think)
anyway 15pounds is not much for a grt and massive hack as this.
Yeah, I should have been more careful with my sentence structure! I meant the commercial add-ons to many great Open-Source/Commercial projects.
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-16-2005, 05:16 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

actually mambo has a had a split on this very issue. Anyway looks like the old team is coming back with a better version.
aah going offtopic now..