The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Modifications > Tutorials

Tutorials Tutorials and articles on using vB Geek stuff.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes

Old 06-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Custom Fields

Here I am going to cover the basics of creating Custom Fields in GARS 2.0

Please note that this documentation was created for GARS 2.0 Beta 2. It may not be 100% up to...

Last edited by The Geek; 12-06-2006 at 01:45 PM..
By trana on 11-04-2006, 09:29 PM

Two questions.

How can I create a custom large text field that has some sense of formatting (i.e. carriage returns, maybe a bbcode editor?) Right now when I put in a list of names on separate lines it joins them all together.

Also, is there any way to create a custom field that would act like a table? For example, I want people to use the first post (i.e. the article) to keep tabs on certain things, so they need to list:

UserID1, items requested, total due, paid or not?
UserID2, items requested, total due, paid or not?
UserID3, items requested, total due, paid or not?

As people send their payments or update their orders the owner goes back and updates this custom field. If a custom field could support bbcode editing then maybe I can use the preexisting bbcode table hack.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
By Neutral Singh on 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Please have a look here. http://www.sikhbusiness.net/culture-....html#post8871

Why no heading is showing up for customer field? The value is showing though i.e. 10.

Any clue.
By The Geek on 11-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Hi Trana,

You cant use the vB editor to enter bbcode into a text area, however you can set the custom field to parse bbcode. In other words, if you set it to parse bbcode then it will act like an editor (with line breaks, formatting code, etc...).

To customize the contents, the easiest thing to do would be to create a custom field row and container. If you edit the Custom Fields module in your module set, you will see that you can specify a value for the custom row and also one for the container. This allows you to override the GARS defaults and lay it out as you would like.

I hope that helps!

Neutral, check out the settings for the custom fields module in your module set. It allows you to specify a title for the box.

HTHs!
By trana on 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Hi Trana,

You cant use the vB editor to enter bbcode into a text area, however you can set the custom field to parse bbcode. In other words, if you set it to parse bbcode then it will act like an editor (with line breaks, formatting code, etc...).

To customize the contents, the easiest thing to do would be to create a custom field row and container. If you edit the Custom Fields module in your module set, you will see that you can specify a value for the custom row and also one for the container. This allows you to override the GARS defaults and lay it out as you would like.

I hope that helps!
That helps, but what you are suggesting is to create a whole bunch of customer text fields? Thats not going to scale well if I keep adding names to the lists.
By trana on 11-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Also, to be clear, I don't need every bit of data to hit a separate custom field. I am fine with addinging everything on a space formatted line by line process as long as the field will accept at least a hard return for formatting. Know what I mean?
By trana on 11-05-2006, 04:33 PM

I went back and tried to use the bbcode hack from .org to make this work. It seems to work find in the body of the message but not in the custom field.

This will give you some idea of what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: gif capture.gif (7.3 KB, 26 views)
Last edited by trana; 11-05-2006 at 04:37 PM..
By The Geek on 11-08-2006, 12:55 AM

hmmm... There really is no reason why the bbcode wouldnt work in the custom text field, however all I am recommending is to change the default row template... you may not even have to change the container template... can you mock up what you had in mind?
By trana on 11-08-2006, 02:19 AM

The image I attached in my last post has the same text posted in a custom text box and the message content. The custom text box does not seem to display the bbcode.
By The Geek on 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM

I would have to crack open his code to find out why it isnt parsing the contents. I can only assume it doesnt parse like normal bbcode does then. Ill download it and try it out
By trana on 11-09-2006, 12:17 AM

Well, in addition to that bbcode, I can't get a hard return to work. If I put thinks on separate lines that should work in the field display right?
Comment

Tutorial Tools