The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-21-2006, 08:18 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.0 RC1 Release Discussion

HowdA Ho Pardner. RC1 has hit the download section for valid license holders.

Please read... important upgrade information is in here!!!

Why RC1?

Because I am officially calling a function freeze on the system. There are plenty more things I have up my sleeve, however at some stage I have to stop and focus on polishing up the features that are there. To be honest, its getting more and more complex to add additional features as I want simply because the code base is getting massive. I have already started prototyping a new tie in product that will also serve as a base system for GARS 3.0. It will provide a totally new framework for several of my projects that will enable me to add the features I want to without the current frameworks limitations.

What about feature xyz I was begging for?

There are only a small handful of features I am skipping over - and those only appeal to a small handful of users. Most features have made it in, or have the plumbing in and will come to surface over the next couple more releases.

So what new features will you find in GARS 2.0 RC1?
  1. Ability to include comment counts and views in with GARS standard template.
  2. A new 'marked' module that performs most of the same functions of the old 'release manager' system. The release manager system is still being reworked, however the base functionality is now there for you guys that use it. It has been reworked with other uses aside from release manager systems.
  3. Ability to 'merge' authors ratings with member ratings.
  4. Option to turn off the 'tick to submit rating' box
  5. A new 'tools' option for re-syncing your forums and gars entries. This is sometimes needed if you move threads, or create custom fields after upgrading. If your custom fields are not saving (or other gars items). rRun the re-sync tool.
  6. Bug fixes
What else is there to do?
  1. Now I'm in RC mode, its tidy up time. Ill be tidying up the code
  2. Phrasing the system (yes, I will look at phrasing the custom fields system too)
  3. Documenting
  4. Creating a couple new default types
  5. Cleaning up installer
  6. Finishing the marked thread thing
  7. Create an import/export for settings.
  8. Create a revert to default settings
  9. Do templates for vB3.6
Whoa, the Testing Zone is empty!!!

Uh, yea. Me bad. Go play around and create some new entries. The testing area needed it anyway.

Special upgrading instructions

Due to some... er limitations with the vB product versioning system, some users may have DB errors after upgrading from Beta 2 to RC 1. If this is the case, simply upload the b2_to_rc1.php to your forum directory. The file is found in the package root folder (along with the license and readme) or download the one attached to this post.
Browse to the file (i.e. www.mysite.com/forums/b2_to_rc1.php).
Then delete the file from your server.

nJoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip b2_to_rc1.zip (569 Bytes, 15 views)

Last edited by The Geek; 06-22-2006 at 07:01 AM..
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Nice job, thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:57 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I didn't quite understand, does RC1 support vB 3.6?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Not totally, Is should support the back end and work OK, however the templates need revision before ill announce 3.6 support
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

i got the following error when I updated to RC1

Quote:
error in vBulletin 3.5.4:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT IF(ga.synopsis, ga.synopsis,post.pagetext) AS preview,
thread.threadid, thread.title AS threadtitle, thread.forumid, pollid, open, replycount, postusername, postuserid, thread.iconid AS threadiconid,
thread.lastpost, lastposter, thread.dateline, IF(views<=replycount, replycount+1, views) AS views, notes, thread.visible, sticky, votetotal, thread.attach,
hiddencount
, NOT ISNULL(subscribethread.subscribethreadid) AS issubscribed
, deletionlog.userid AS del_userid, deletionlog.username AS del_username, deletionlog.reason AS del_reason, threadread.readtime AS threadread
, ga.header_image, ga.synopsis, ga.byline, ga.feature_untill, round((ga.overall_rating/10),0) author_rating, ga.rating_count, ga.overall_rating author_rating_percent,round((ga.avg_rating/10),0) member_rating, ga.avg_rating member_rating_percent, ga.pagecount, ga.custom2
FROM thread AS thread
LEFT JOIN deletionlog AS deletionlog ON(thread.threadid = deletionlog.primaryid AND type = 'thread')
LEFT JOIN subscribethread AS subscribethread ON(subscribethread.threadid = thread.threadid AND subscribethread.userid = 1 AND canview = 1)
LEFT JOIN threadread AS threadread ON (threadread.threadid = thread.threadid AND threadread.userid = 1)
LEFT JOIN post AS post ON(post.postid = thread.firstpostid)

LEFT JOIN gars as ga ON(ga.threadid = thread.threadid)
WHERE thread.threadid IN (0,3044,3043,3030,3014,3003,3002,2941,2883,2826,27 57)
ORDER BY sticky DESC, thread.lastpost DESC;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'ga.rating_count' in 'field list'
Error Number : 1054
Date : Wednesday, June 21st 2006 @ 06:52:27 PM
Script : http://www.xenomed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Referrer : http://www.xenomed.com/forums/index.php
Classname : vB_Database
Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

even I can't post in other forum following error display

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/.cartwright/xeno/xenomed.com/forums/geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 672
Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 AM

thank god i got everything back when I reverted all the files and re-uploaded the product xml files to

GARS 2[1].0 Beta 2.5

Why RC1 showed the error? Now I am afraid to upgrade any of the release until its a stable one.

One more thing.... regarding autolink altough I have bold all the sentence of GARS 2[1].0 Beta 2.5 but GARS will be still not bold... Geek Can't you fix this problem... It sometime become important when you enlarge the font and still GARS would be same small and none formated text

Last edited by ang2el; 06-22-2006 at 02:12 AM..
Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Database error in vBulletin 3.5.4:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT IF(ga.synopsis, ga.synopsis,post.pagetext) AS preview,
thread.threadid, thread.title AS threadtitle, thread.forumid, pollid, open, replycount, postusername, postuserid, thread.iconid AS threadiconid,
thread.lastpost, lastposter, thread.dateline, IF(views<=replycount, replycount+1, views) AS views, notes, thread.visible, sticky, votetotal, thread.attach,
hiddencount
, NOT ISNULL(subscribethread.subscribethreadid) AS issubscribed
, deletionlog.userid AS del_userid, deletionlog.username AS del_username, deletionlog.reason AS del_reason, threadread.readtime AS threadread
, ga.header_image, ga.synopsis, ga.byline, ga.feature_untill, round((ga.overall_rating/10),0) author_rating, ga.rating_count, ga.overall_rating author_rating_percent,round((ga.avg_rating/10),0) member_rating, ga.avg_rating member_rating_percent, ga.pagecount, ga.custom2
FROM thread AS thread
LEFT JOIN deletionlog AS deletionlog ON(thread.threadid = deletionlog.primaryid AND type = 'thread')
LEFT JOIN subscribethread AS subscribethread ON(subscribethread.threadid = thread.threadid AND subscribethread.userid = 2613 AND canview = 1)
LEFT JOIN threadread AS threadread ON (threadread.threadid = thread.threadid AND threadread.userid = 2613)
LEFT JOIN post AS post ON(post.postid = thread.firstpostid)

LEFT JOIN gars as ga ON(ga.threadid = thread.threadid)
WHERE thread.threadid IN (0,21394,17939,21396,18145,18047)
ORDER BY sticky DESC, thread.lastpost DESC;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'ga.rating_count' in 'field list'
Error Number : 1054
Date : Wednesday, June 21st 2006 @ 10:19:37 PM
Script : http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...play.php?f=245
Referrer : http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/
IP Address : 24.214.88.63
Username : Brent
Classname : vb_database
Me too..................
Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 AM

Hey Guys, I have updated the first post with some special upgrading instructions and a file you can run to do sort any db problems if you are having any.

The problem is with the vB product versioning system and some limitations with it. I thought I worked around it last night before release and even tested it on 2 other systems - but noooooo! Anyhoo, If you upgrade to RC1 and have any db errors, upload the file in the first post (also found in the package now) and run it.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Allright, now it's cool, thanks.