The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Didn't work.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Any update on when we might see the custom form fields?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Hi. First post here. I specialize in seo'ing of vBulletin, and so have lots of clients, a number of whom would be good candidates for GARS, and at least one that has made a purchase from my recommendation.

So I have a copy myself that I am testing out.

While I could do the programming to fix, as this is only for my test site at the moment, I will leave it to you to get a fix release.

Issues
  • When I add the "reviews" template to a forum, existing threads are not converted until I edit the thread and save.
  • If I have an authors review, then choose to not show it, it still gets shown. If I then edit the review, of course the review options no longer show on the edit. But when I save the review, the review shows as n/a against everything rather than just having the review deleted.
  • As an admin, I cant edit the ratings of a member.
  • When as a member, I post a review, it is not shown. I once got the reviews to show, but no longer. I have said "Yes" to every option in settings, but it does not show.
  • When reviews take up less than a line, the featured reviews column is not right justified, it moves to the center in explorer (fine in firefox).
  • Where is there facility to only show x number of featured reviews? My featured reviews list is getting rather long.
  • Is there a summary review for each thread - gets average for all reviews placed. I would like this in the position of/around the authors review.

These issues took me minutes to find, although a little longer to write up.
Bound to be more issues...

Would love to get these fixed, or comments as to where I am going wrong.

Its a great product, but a little early for me to recommend this - for the reviews part anyway, or maybe its that my experience is as yet limited for this?

Last edited by T2DMan; 03-22-2006 at 01:41 AM..
Old 03-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey there. Thanks for the feedback and bug issues, ill get them resolved for next release.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Any word on the possibility of an easier implementation of custom fields and controls? That Custom Fields hack on .org is sweet, I wish GARS was that easy.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Its in the pipeline
Old 03-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I'm still stuck with articles that do not work for my members using Linear Newest. While perhaps not that pressing to most, it is a major pain in the arse for me to tell folks that they have to change the way they read the board in order to see our member content.

No disrespect for anyone looking for more out of GARS, but I for one would just like the existing issues quashed before any additional functionality is added.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:51 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Bugs and/or issues so far

I'm relatively new to GARS, but here are issues I have been having:
  • A deleted featured article still appears as "featured". I deleted the article, still there. I deleted it forum, still there. I even removed it manually from the DB and it was still there!
  • In the template GARS_options there are two hard-coded phrases, "Synopsis" and its description.
  • When I disallowed replies to the forum where GARS is active, the "comment/reply" button is still showing, altough it does not actually allow the user to reply when clicked.
  • Same as above for "New Article".

Last edited by Dennis B; 04-10-2006 at 03:06 AM..
Old 04-10-2006, 09:33 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis B
[LIST][*]A deleted featured article still appears as "featured". I deleted the article, still there. I deleted it forum, still there. I even removed it manually from the DB and it was still there!
Turn of the caching for the modules

Quote:
[LIST][*]In the template GARS_options there are two hard-coded phrases, "Synopsis" and its description.
Should be fixed with GARS 2.x

Quote:
[LIST][*]When I disallowed replies to the forum where GARS is active, the "comment/reply" button is still showing, altough it does not actually allow the user to reply when clicked.
You can change this behaviour manually with a if clause in the templates.

Quote:
  • Same as above for "New Article".
[/QUOTE]

Same as above.

You should wait for GARS 2.0 which will be released soon. This version will fix several smaller issues and add new functions.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:36 AM

jluerken,

Thanks for your reply, but this is not vBorg, and I sure hope The Geek's attitude towards primary bugs like these is a bit different than the "wait till I have time" attitude.

This is a paid-for script. The Geek made a lot of fuss about paid for hacks in vBorg. As a customer, not a fellow coder, I expect support for this script to be at least equal or better than the best supported free hacks in vBorg. I appreciate The Geek's work and don't mind editing the code directly, but I expect fast replies and the changes to be laid out nicely for me. If I were to think about how to edit this code, I shouldn't have paid for it in the first place. I'm using the script on a live forum and unless it's a new functionality, I can't tell my members/customers to "wait".

Anyway, I edited the templates to fix the missing phrases by myself, that was easy. Now the buttons are a little trickier, because the if clause has to take into account vb permissions and GARS permissions set under GARS > Settings in the ACP. If you would be so kind to list all those variables for me, at least the ones defined by GARS, then I might try to do the edit myself.

Last edited by Dennis B; 04-10-2006 at 11:42 AM..