The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-30-2006, 01:31 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default A few customizing questions

I'm starting to get the hang of this. It's a really cool idea but a little rough around the edges (the tutorials need more depth).

How do I display a custom field in my threadbits? I think this involves unserializing the values. Can someone walk me through this?

How do I customize the edit/create thread page for a specific forum?

Are there any examples for dealing with multiple custom variables? I need several select boxes.

Is there an easy way to make the containers in showthread go to the right of each other instead of top to bottom? I have two containers to the right of my content, is there a way to display them left to right?

If anyone can help with these questions I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

First off, create your desired custom profile field(s);

Admin CP -> User Profile Fields -> Add New User Profile Field

Then, open the GARS_pb template:
Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> « » -> GARS templates -> GARS_pb

Wherever you wish, add the following:
HTML Code:
<if condition="$post['fieldX']">
$post[fieldX]
</if>
where X represents the field number that you set already.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

I want to create and display custom fields in the forums, edit/create, and display, NOT in the user profile.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Trana,

It will be that easy soon

However in the meantime, how about post the values you are trying to catch and ill show you how to do it
Old 03-31-2006, 05:04 AM

Well, I need:

4 chooser boxes
2 text fields
And then the normal "message" content (with photo uploads, etc).

I DON'T need polls, posticons, and a few other things in the edit/create phase. (i.e. from a data perspective these can be null as long as they are removed from the display)

The custom fields above will be displayed at the top of each post (or article as you might call it). I also want to display these fields inline with the threadbits (similar to what that other hack does).

Based on your progress, is it worth it to get it to work this way or with the new forthcoming version? This hack is incredibly powerful, it just needs to be a little easier to use, which I think is what you are working on. If it is due soon (like in a few weeks), then I will concentrate my efforts on getting my templates to look really sharp and worry about the backend stuff once the beta is out. Actually, you tell me, where should my efforts be at this point?

This is a great script and with the right admincp system it will make it easier to do what it is supposed to do. (I don't think many people know what it is capable of).

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:13 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

As of right now... you may want to hang fire. 2.0 is coming pretty smoothly. That said, development hicups can occur at any moment.

Aside from current issue fixes, I have the custom fields about 80% done.

The types of fields you can create are:
textbox
textarea
checkbox
multicheckbox
select
radio buttons
date selector
number box
Image uploader (clickable to either the original image or another URL).

So yes, it will do what you're after... its now just down to the details and then ill post a public beta.