The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-13-2006, 09:50 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

yeah, thank you , do you have section later that would show how I would put the code on the page to do that?

thanks about to go install script
Old 02-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I believe the documentation tells you how.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Just a quick update guys...

I have sorted all minor issues out tonight except for I discovered that I forgot to put the code in to draw from specific categories. This isn't an issue for most, but it is for some!
Anyhooo, while putting the code in I hit a bit of a snag and I wont be able to update the package tonight, however it will be updated to RC2 tomorrow.
Here is a list of what I'm tackling:
1- missing height and width vars in flash templates
2- Banner display page not saving some changes
3- Category editor spitting out blanks
4- Limit billboard ads by category (the one I'm stuck on)

think thats it, though I may have missed a couple other things. Let me know so I can get everything rolled up into 1 package.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 03:32 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Just a quick update guys...

I have sorted all minor issues out tonight except for I discovered that I forgot to put the code in to draw from specific categories. This isn't an issue for most, but it is for some!
Anyhooo, while putting the code in I hit a bit of a snag and I wont be able to update the package tonight, however it will be updated to RC2 tomorrow.
Here is a list of what I'm tackling:
1- missing height and width vars in flash templates
2- Banner display page not saving some changes
3- Category editor spitting out blanks
4- Limit billboard ads by category (the one I'm stuck on)

think thats it, though I may have missed a couple other things. Let me know so I can get everything rolled up into 1 package.

Thanks
This may also fall under #3 above. But when I try to create a category it is also spitting out blanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Update on progress

Hey guys, good news and bad news.

Good news is that it is Valentines day so you should all think about love and stuff when I make the next statement: I have opened a can of worms with this category picker situation and wont have an update tonight. Let me explain.

The GAB ad pulling engine is quite clever and I'm quite chuffed with it. Basically, it figures out how many ads of each type you need on a particular page, grabs the banners and/or HTML that qualify in a random order based on their frequency rate and creates a mini little banner farm that each ad in each billboard (block) uses. If you require more banners than were pulled, it recycles the farm to fulfill your order. For instance; it will recycle if you needed 10 banners, however there were only 8 that could get pulled. Recycling seldom happens as most people have enough banners for their ads, but none the less, I code for completeness!

Well, last night I quickly discovered that I forgot to code the portion of the ad engine whereby you can specify which category banners will be pulled from on an ad by ad basis. Basically, this is a function that allows you to say 'these banners should only appear in headers and these in side blocks'. Well, no big deal, I whipped out my editor and started to whip up a fresh function. Well, this little problem that started as a little loose thread on a sweater started to really unravel the ad engine. The more I worked on my function, the more I had to tweak things to accommodate it. Last night I had the sucker in position before I went to bed. I knew exactly what I had to do to enable it, everything was in place and I was ready to finish it up tonight. Then as I started to finish it up, the thread unraveled further as I soon discovered a new problem: I could limit the query by category (no problem) however if there was another ad on the page that didn't limit by category, I would exclude the categories that were not specified in the other ads! In other words, if you had 1 billboard with an ad that pulled from any category and one that pulled from your skyscraper category, your first billboard would only have access to the skyscraper category! Well, that leaves 2 choices: Rethink the ad farm engine, restrict ads so that all ads on a page either specify categories or not (instead of each ad being able to) or my last option was to introduce a complex query per ad. The last option would be a popular one with many coders out there, however I don't resort to such hack jobs, so I have to look at the first 2. Since I hate restricting anyone, that leaves me with the first option: Rethink the farm.
I have made some headway on it already, however I have given myself an aneurysm doing so and I'm still not to the point where I can say that I'm on the right track.

Anyway, I decided to put it aside for the evening and clean up some GARS issues (which I did). I need to look at the problem after a good nights sleep and a fresh set of eyes.

As the product stands now, it should be perfectly fine for 95% of users needs. Those needing to specify categories to draw from though will be up poo creek until I progress the issue. I can however say that it shouldn't be more than a couple more days at the most.

Thanks for your patience and your support.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 AM

I am one of those waiting for the use of being able to use categories. I will try and be patient. Thank you for not giving up on it. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Confused

I am sooo confused on how to set this up...

I dont understand how to get 1 block of ads in one part while showing a different block of ads in another part of the same page....

I know it has something to do with the array inside the '[]' but I just cant figure out how to get the ads to appear in certain blocks and also how to have the different blocks show on the same page...

Any help?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:52 PM

In the script listing page, there is a list like this:

$GAB_ads[0]
$GAB_ads[1]
$GAB_ads[2]
$GAB_ads[3]
.. etc

Those value will contain the contents of whatever block you set them to. For instance, if you have $GAB_ads[1] and $GAB_ads[5] set to a particular block, then the contents will appear in $GAB_ads[1] and $GAB_ads[5] and as such. those values should appear in your templates somewhere.

DOes that help?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
In the script listing page, there is a list like this:

$GAB_ads[0]
$GAB_ads[1]
$GAB_ads[2]
$GAB_ads[3]
.. etc

Those value will contain the contents of whatever block you set them to. For instance, if you have $GAB_ads[1] and $GAB_ads[5] set to a particular block, then the contents will appear in $GAB_ads[1] and $GAB_ads[5] and as such. those values should appear in your templates somewhere.

DOes that help?
Still confused....

Not sure if it is because some things are not working (like the catagories)...

What im trying to do is have 2 sets of ads:

1) 1st set in the header that display only ads about my site
2) 2nd set on the main page (all pages) that display ads from our sponsors

I set up an Ad Block called 'Site Ads'

I changed the Master Script to show the following:

$GAB_ads[0] Default
$GAB_ads[1] Site Ads

I then put $GAB_ads[1] where I wanted the Site Ads to show and I put $GAB_ads[0] on the main page where I want the Other Ads to appear. The only thing that happens is that all ads show up at different time in both spots.

I just have no clue on how to get the Banners for Site Ads into that catagory.

Problem Is I just dont know how to get the site ads to the Site Ads catagory
Old 02-18-2006, 05:51 PM

Looks like you are doing it right. Im just running some last minute tests on RC2 so fingers crossed it will be out tonight and it will fix the problem you are having.
What you want to do is pull banners from a category that has only your ads in it and another ad from the other categories.

Hang tight, ill do what I can to get it up tonight.