The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 07-14-2006, 03:36 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Flea - should be fine to miss out previous steps
Old 07-14-2006, 03:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I did both upgrades in the end - they're both working great for me. I'm waiting for this to go final and I'll really get to work with customising it. That means goodbye to vBa Links in replacement for the new type. It means goodbye to vBGallery hosting my video files (and eventually the mp3's too) - and goodbye to the plethora of article scripts I've used. I have big plans for this script - I don't understand how the vB community at large aren't creaming their pants - this is going to let me integrate ANY form of content I like and I'm not afriad to say I'm bloody excited at the thought.

EDIT: Also the readme says something about vB 3.6 althought I wasn't sure what it meant. Is this almost to 3.6 compatibility or would it work right now? Ta.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

excellent

Most people only scratch the surface with what you can do with GARS. Hell, I even only scratch the surface. Thats why I'm planning on having a lot of different types ship with 2.0 gold so that people will start to see its potential.

Saying that - LOADS of people do actually use it (far more purchased than I ever thought would do) hopefully this next iteration will get them using it in more creative ways.

Personally, I don't see why vB doesn't integrate some of the core concepts into its base.

If you were to strip down the essentials of GARS, it:
  • Adds the ability to override templates on a forum by forum basis
  • Adds the ability to override phrases on a forum by forum basis
  • Adds the ability to create custom fields (like user profile fields) and control them on a forum by forum basis
  • Adds the ability to include modules in the layout.
I can see why modules aren't that big of a deal to the vB core, however the first 3 key's could easily be implemented in the core product and open the door to a huge paradigm shift with how users set up their forums.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:44 PM

It should work with 3.6 now however its still pre-release.

BTW: Has anybody tried out the new alpha bar? I thought it was quite a cool addition!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

To be honest Sam I think they will when vB4 comes along... I don't think what you're doing here is going unnoticed even though it goes unmentioned. The product implimentation was the first part - and with people asking Jelsoft for a CMS it seems like the logical progression - they can retain a core 'forum product' with your principles reitterated - the types will be handled via vBorg no doubt - so they don't have to support them.

What you speak of with the forum by forum basis is what is getting me in a hot sweat. I have a couple of questions about getting the ANYMEDIA hack from vBorg working how I'd like but I'll reserve them until you've more time - that's when I'll be able to shift my mp3's and videos out of the Gallery - which is becoming a cumbersome beast and totally does not suit the media I want to promote.

Alpha bar? What did I miss???

On vB 3.6 - I'm not making the jump until it goes Gold but I won't be doing so until GAB and GARS support it - but I'm in no huge rush - the upgrade is just gonna eat time anyway.

EDIT: Still not found the Alpha bar - but on a side note I have 3 sets of "Custom Fields" in my module list, am I go to delete 2 of them?

Last edited by Fleabag; 07-14-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Old 07-14-2006, 04:13 PM

I'm sure many of the principals could become integrated in one way or another - however I'm sure it will be done in an even better way (which makes me excited!).
In order to evolve forum software, Dev's need to start imagining a post system that is decoupled from a forum/thread relationship.
A post is a post whether its a PM, new thread, reply, news item, article, email, gallery reply, web site directory entry, WHATEVER. Once that decoupling can take place, it opens the door for A LOT of evolution and a lot of flexability.

The alpha bar is a type setting (under forumdisplay settings). It toggles on the alphabet bar you can see in the test forums. I only got excited about ti as I had loads of requests for it and I just kept putting it off thinking it would be really difficult until the other day when I reexamined some of the forumdisplay queries. I then quickly realised how I could do it.

You can delete your extra CF modules. No biggie there
Old 07-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

install errors with 3.6rc2 and all settings correct, plus can't set up cron job as most fields need completing.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:15 PM

What errors? Did you chmod your geek/gars/chage (and all subfolders) to 0777 before the install?

PS - please post bugs in the tracker, otherwise I lose them
Old 07-14-2006, 04:17 PM

I see! That's great. I can put it in my mp3/video sections once they're GARS'd - ideal for people who know where they're going. I hear ya on the whole POST idea, you're bang on and it's a shame nobody else (at least, as far as large forum devs are concerned) is up for a trip on the bandwagon. It will be a revolution! Viva au Pays De Galles!

Will I be able to edit the header image (assign the default to old threads as we discussed previously) in the final version?

Is it sunny where you are? Lovely day here! I might go out and get some when the 'better' half gets in.

Last edited by Fleabag; 07-14-2006 at 04:20 PM..
Old 07-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Not sure if editing existing images easily will be availible or not. I envision a tool to mass alter images, but its just a matter of what is important for final or not.

Its sunny here. Im going to run off and grab a cold one.

nJoy