The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Article history

I would like to use this for tutorials, but tutorial are changing in the meanwhile and topic is the same.
I would like to see then history of tutorial. Something like templates history i n VB3.5+ or wikki media.

I will post this also on vb.org,because this would be able to handle also with forum as it is with articles.

I am planning to use those tutorial as knowleage-base related to low-codes, that is why i need history for informations so they follow codes changes.

Geek do you have any idea how to accomplish this with your or other mods?

Thank you!
Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Tough to say as I dont think I understand exactly what youre asking. Do you have a good example in action?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Good example is history of templates in vB3.5

Let's say I want to use this for any legislation act. Once the act is ammended I will put the old article into history with comment that that one was vaild until certain date.

Then user may choose version of the law from history.
Actual version will be always valid and unambridged.

Simple version of this might be to show newest article first in the thread and have some additional field in old article with validity note (law in force from ... until the date).

Another possibility - where you can use this mod is for tutorials on new versions of software/script etc.
Let's say there will be an article titled "How to moderate threads in vbulletin.".
Article will show always current version of tutorial, but there will be available also tutorial for old version of that script. You will be able to choose version of that tutorial from history.

This sort of history of articles is used on wikipedia.com except that wikipedia has only simple history of article not related to any certain date or version of something.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Right, I follow you now. However I dont think I would be able to even think about doing something like that for quite some time. It would require keeping a history of thread changes which would be a totally new project itself
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

you could use the multiple pages for this and index them by date. So like when you write a new one instead of making its own thread just edit the old thread add your break and you are good to go, then you would see you history in your table of contents. Hope that helps or even makes sense for that matter
Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko
you could use the multiple pages for this and index them by date. So like when you write a new one instead of making its own thread just edit the old thread add your break and you are good to go, then you would see you history in your table of contents. Hope that helps or even makes sense for that matter
I am not sure wheter I follow ...

is this what i said above?
Simple version of this might be to show newest article first in the thread and have some additional field in old article with validity note (law in force from ... until the date).

that would be it with links to parts with old version...?