The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-15-2005, 08:35 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS RC2 Release Discussion

I was hoping to skip RC2 and go for gold, however I need to go out of town until Saturday at which time I then have to prepare for a massive party here for Sunday. Basically, my coding time is skimped until next week. Therefore I thought I would post an interim release before we go gold. This fixes many issues brought up since RC1, continues the phrasing process, however leaves us still with no documentation yet!

Please note I was in middle of adding support to make a rating item n/a. And didn't finish yet! Basically, a feature request was made so that if an item didn't fit the standard rating, it could be marked as n/a.
A good example is a gaming review forum which has multi player as a rating attribute however the game being reviewed doesn't offer it!
Well, I think I got it plugged in - the only thing remaining is to prevent members from still giving it a rating when it has been marked n/a by the author! Yes, its minor - but still needs to be done.

Speaking of ratings, I have now moved the HTML into their own templates so you guys that have tweaked them - look in the templates section now.

The rest are primarily minor bug fixes and display issues. I know not EVERYTHING has been done yet however I think its safe to say 99% has been done.

Aside from those things I think that there is a couple places in templates for phrasing and the admincp needs to be phrased.
Improve support for some non English languages
Document it!

Anyhooo. Ill leave RC1 up in Geeker just in case some showstopper appears while I'm out of town so make sure you download the right package! You should all be up to speed on the upgrade process now:

Download latest package
Upload contents of the upload/forums folder to your forums (overwrite previous files)
Import the product-gars.xml file into your product manager (overwrite previous install).
Revert changed templates.

To enable the n/a option for a rating, you need to edit the rating and tick the 'na' box. Otherwise it wont appear as an option.

nJoy everyone. Im off to play with my new friend for a few. -> http://www.thevbgeek.com/hi.html

Last edited by The Geek; 11-15-2005 at 08:43 PM..
Old 11-15-2005, 09:11 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

sorry for stupid questions.
how can i know which version i installed?
how can i upgrade it to rc2? shall i just overwrite everything?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Check the bottom of a gars page for which version - to upgrade, yes, overwrite all files with new ones and imprt the product-gars.xml file into your product manager (overwriting existing install).

HTH's
Old 11-15-2005, 09:30 PM

A couple of quick points:

1- I havent sorted the support ticket system yet (hell, it wont let ME in there!)
2- Feel free to post bugs in a new thread in the troubleshoot forum.
3- A user emailed me saying they were getting a DB error with RC2. THis was a result of their settings getting reset after the upgrade. Though technically it shouldnt reset from an RC1 upgrade, if it DOES happen, make sure you double check your settings and double check your module settings. The error in question was from a missing setting in one of the modules.

Just thought I would post in case anyone else runs into something similar.

nJoy... Anyone asked the geek anything yet ?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:13 PM

Package updated to RC2b to fix a ratings issue. If you have upgraded to RC2, you only need to replace your geek\gars\includes\gars_class_core.php file.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Warning: Division by zero in /includes/functions.php(4300) : eval()'d code on line 10

Error i now get on all articles:

http://www.rpg-centre.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

See above message

Think I uploaded RC2b as you downloaded RC2
Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

No change but havnt reverted templates (which i need to do?)
Old 11-15-2005, 10:33 PM

You will need to though that shouldnt affect anything.

My only concern is that the error you mentioned relates to GAL . No global_complete hooks are used in GARS?!?

As a temporary measure, can you set your GAL persist throttle to 1?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
You will need to though that shouldnt affect anything.

My only concern is that the error you mentioned relates to GAL . No global_complete hooks are used in GARS?!?

As a temporary measure, can you set your GAL persist throttle to 1?
I dont have GAL