The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I don't want to rush but maybe it could be time to tell us what the final decision is. GARS is an very important addition to my 2 forums and I need to know if I can use it long time or have to search for an alternative software.
If there's a realistic chance you will have the needed time for supporting the scripts in a half year or so than it's the best to don't sell/give away the scripts. Thank you. And b.t.w. you'r my most favourit coder and without you there will be left a very big hole in the vbulletin community.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I go through development cycles on my sites, and I was in an off cycle and missed this bombshell. GARS is a great product and it has been part of a lot of my plans on our flagship site. One of the main reasons I went with it, was that I like to use commercial scripts so that I can get support and not get left in an abandoned state which has happened so many times with .org stuff in the past. Now I guess I have found that buying doesn't get you any further than going with the free stuff.

TheGeek, I do hope that your family situation improves, and I'll add you to my prayers. Personally, if you do decide to just throw this out into open source on .org, one of my first priorities will be to look for another solution for what I've used GARS for... which will be a very difficult task to solve. Without a "lead", anything at .org dies from what I've seen.

I'd like to see you turn it over or sell it to some other commercial entity that is capable and interested in doing something with it. Of the developers listed, I'm most impressed with the vBadvanced folks (Brian), or nuHit. From what I've seen, they have (in the past) provided pretty good support and kept their products up to date.

Another idea that I've not heard mentioned is Jelsoft. I wonder if they would consider taking it over as an add-on to vBulletin?

I wish you well, and please do keep us updated. I'm really concerned about what this is going to do to the future of my site that is heavily using GARS.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Tho8ugh I fantasise about it, let's face it... the vB team have their hands MORE than full and furthermore, they would most likely need to spend a crap load of time retweaking most of the scripts to meet the needs of their customer base.

I have spoken to most people/parties mentioned in this thread - however most discussions have been to no avail (some may be great coders - but most are naff communicators). I am creating a new thread to attempt to wrap things up for past customers needs.

Thanks for understanding.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Wow, what a bummer. GAL is one of my favorite scripts (maybe even my favorite), and it's so hard to find coders who support what they sell.

I realize, of course, that you probably never made a lot of money off your products, and perhaps that's what's driving the lack of response.

Perhaps you could raise the price to make it more appealing? I myself would be willing to pay more.

At any rate, I hope things go well with your family and your bricks-and -mortar business.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:53 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I would like to encourage you to reopen the purchase of your scripts under the following conditions:
  • all script will be non-supported
  • all scripts will be downloaded at own risk and no warranty of functionality
  • all scripts are purchased in the as-it-is-status.
[I]
If this is at all feasible, I'd recommend this too. I know a few who would like to purchase GARS as it is in the current version.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
If this is at all feasible, I'd recommend this too. I know a few who would like to purchase GARS as it is in the current version.
me too!!!