The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sad to hear this Sam, maybe it would be a good idea to sell or give the scripts for free into the hands of brian from vbadvanced, he's beside of you one of the best vbulletin coder with great support. I'm sure this would be the best solution for all of us.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

instead of suggesting to give the scripts to someone who is not even involved here, why don't you ask the principal person ?!... did you ask Brian first?!

don't go to paths you can't handle yourself... do not make suggestions just to make suggestions, you are helping nobody.

Brian is too musy with his new products... he can't invest time just because he is a great coder...

do not ask for SirAdrian either... (the name is already floating around).. i asked him myself, as a friend, and he is not involved right now...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Sorry to hear that the crisis has not changed much. I truly hope it'll get better very soon, family before business, your choice is absolutely right.

I hate to see though your great projects going to nirvana. I also hate seeing them given away for free. I of course checked my paypal account as I just purchased a month ago (July 18th) and my account has not been credited. Which in a way I find o.k. although it is a bit disturbing having just missed it for a day or two.

The fact that you refunded at all I find very noble and also businesslike. As when I purchased I did not only purchase the license, I also purchased 1 year of updates, which of course now there won't be any. Since you already refunded everyone as far back as possible it doesn't matter anymore, but to refund pro rata temporis as far back instead of refunding in full might have been something to think about. But maybe you did that anyway.

I agree with others that say that .org will not be much of a support. Can't you find anyone who will take over this site and give support until you come back or if that's not possilbe keep the site? Your stuff is so great it shouldn't be given away for free. If someone else is capable of updating and supporting, it might be interesting for him/her knowing they wouldn't have to do it for free.

Wish you all the best and still hope you'll be back in the near future.

Thanks for everything
Greets
Steigi
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
Have you given any thought to approaching the developers at .com and possibly selling to them?? I'm very serious, really. Please think about it.
If I were vbulletin, I would seriously consider this chance to give vbulletin some features and make it more competitive again. Hey, with the slow speed they are making the blog add-on, especially GARS and GAZ would really make a quick step forward and improve custumer satisfaction a lot, benefiting us all.

But, you have to be realistic. They, or others, cannot decide on issues like this in a couple of weeks. Interested parties have to consider, check code for performance issues, consider changes needed before it can be official vb-code etc.

It takes time, and I find it too hasty to release to .org after a couple of weeks.
Give Sam the time to settle family business and/or have a dialogue with others interested in developing the scripts in future.

Last edited by henrikhansen; 08-20-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sam ,

I also will not like you to give the programs free of charge to vb.org. I will also choose a third party to take over the projects or wait for you to return. nexialys is a good coder and i can also offer my help just to have these hacks. My board is based on Gars so i don't want to trust egomaniac people at vb.org. Or wait for couple moınth till you solve the crisis issue and then return back.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

"offer my help" i read a typo here!... Lizard King, when you work, it is not help, it is TALENT...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
Sam ,

I also will not like you to give the programs free of charge to vb.org. I will also choose a third party to take over the projects or wait for you to return. nexialys is a good coder and i can also offer my help just to have these hacks. My board is based on Gars so i don't want to trust egomaniac people at vb.org. Or wait for couple moınth till you solve the crisis issue and then return back.
I have to agree with you here Mr. Lizard.
Our main board is also based around GARS and feel the scripts would be wasted if passed over to .org.
I get the impression that perhaps a majority of folk here would be more than willing to bide their time and wait to see how things pan out with you Sam, even if that means months rather than weeks.

p.s. As I have already made it clear, although I am NOT a coder, I would be more than willing to lend a hand here, if needed, I have a plethora of experience as servermeister.

Last edited by gothic; 08-20-2007 at 04:50 PM..
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM

GeekMart License Holder 

Yes as mentioned above take your time.. FAMILY always comes first.

I do have a question though for nexia. IF The Geek did hand over his scripts to you, would you offer them for free? Reason I ask I for one would not pay to be a member of a forum then have to turn around and pay for the scripts.

I am just curious.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 05:21 PM

As above, so with us.

We both totally agree that family has to come before anything else, hands down. I tend to agree that making your products available for free on .org wouldn't likely solve support issues, it's quite likely to *create* a lot of support issues as folks jump into things without the safety net that you provide here. ::shrug::

if *Jelsoft* was willing to take on the support I think everyone would be happy with that ;-), but other than that I think we'd rather see what members here can do as a community and hope that one day things will work out so that you can return and have something tangible to return *to*.

::shrug::

In any case, we wish you and your family the best possible outcome to your current situation. If there's anything we can do as a community please let us know...

James and Susan
Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM

@mac27... paying to access my site... not related to the geek stuff... the 10$ membership for my site is for freely available stuff in a specific section of it, not the whole thing. my paid scripts are in a different section, for a good reason. and adding the Geek stuff would make a new section with the exact same costs as the actual grades... changes may occur IF a lot of facts come to play with the stats...

giving the scripts to Jelsoft would mean to give them for free, and i'm sure it is not good. they ahve been proven stupid for a lot of reasons... that's why Samuel was not releasing his own stuff on vb.org lately...

vb.org guys are not supporting coders work, and they will never do.. they are always arguying that this is not the goal of the site, so why would they change today... and Jelsoft would already buy the Geek stuff if they'd be interested.. they bought a lot of codes lately, but never came here from what i know... so they will not be interested even if it's a crisis..they do not care about personal crisis...
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads