The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-14-2006, 07:14 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Things I'd like to see in GARS

Here are some of the features I'd like to see in a (near!) future GARS:
  • Custom fields for author that can be named by the administrator per subforum. One good idea would be to have a custom field per rating criteria (plus a few more for other things like "pros, cons, price paid, etc").

See this example link:Example GARS post

In this example review using GARS, you can see the author has the following criteria for this ratings:
    • Ease of Use
    • Support
    • Stability
    • Price/Value
    • Updates

In the body of his review he then has a paragraph detailing each criteria. It would be fantastic if there was a predefined form for each criteria that the author the fill in with his/her comments as this review does.

• Allow author to upload 3-6 photos per review (not as part of the comment box but separately).
  • Allow for google maps integration. This would allow reviewers to specify the location of any restaurant, etc that they are reviewing.
  • Allow those replying to a review to add their own 2 cents with the same custom fields as the original poster.
  • Make the "choose a rating" more clear and easily accessible for the average joe.

Last edited by bboy; 08-14-2006 at 08:17 AM..
Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks for the suggestions.
1- already done however there are not custom forms. I would suggest the hack over at .org to do this (it just inserts default text into the editor as a guide). BTW: Thats a really old version of gars

2- You can do this
3- ok, ill check it out. Seems like an easy enough module.
4- CUstom fields for comments doesnt exists in this version. Its been suggested for the next version.
5- How would you suggest this is done?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Thanks for your reply TG

1. You wouldn't happen to know the name of said hack? I would really like to see the separate forms.

2. About uploading photos for the review are you referring to main form/edit box or the initial article icon that is chosen/uploaded?

I mean something similar to how (dare I say) PhotoPost Classifieds has for the photos you can add for each post (separate from the article portion). The user has the option to upload 1-6 photos and they all appear as thumbnails with 1 larger. You can then click on any one of them to see the larger version of each.

3. Sorry my mistake...I'm still quite new to GARS and have yet to intsall/purcahse it so I'm basically peering in the window. I was trying to reply to one of my own test posts and saw no ratings options (duh!)....I see now that I tried to reply to another test post on your front page.

-----
ps - would you (anyone) happen to know if there is any way to get the subforum names to display in front of the subject of a post when using the vBAdvanced News module?

For example, now if I were to have the following sub forums that I specify the news module to show on the front page:

News - Local
News - Politics
News - Entertainment
Reviews - Restaurants
Reviews - Bars
Articles

They would only show the "subject" of my post on the on front page at the top of the post. I would like it to show what (sub)forum it came from as well.
Is this possible?

I have asked over at the VBA forums but sadly no response yet.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1. Dont know the name of the hack. All it does is start up your new thread with preset text. THere arent additional forms.
2- The way you would do this by adding attachments just like in vB. That gives you far greater control of the amount of images and types of uploads they can make.
3- I looked at your thread and saw the ratings... are you sure?

Sorry, cant help with vba. Dont know the answer
Old 08-15-2006, 05:20 AM

Thanks for your reply TheGeek. Understood on all your points. My rationale for wanting to have the photos separate from the main form and having separate forms was to keep a well structured and uniform layout/appearance to all reviews. My hope was/is to make it easier for the end user to follow and be easier on the eye.

Any chance on getting google maps integration in a near future release? I think that could be a nice value add to GARS
Old 08-15-2006, 08:55 AM

There has been the occasional discussion about it, however since I don't really know anything about it, I dont think I could make the module. Maybe another user could give it a whack?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:21 AM

#1. I think that's the "Extra Threadfields Lite". The "Pro" version has more options for a fee.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:32 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Allow for google maps integration. This would allow reviewers to specify the location of any restaurant, etc that they are reviewing.
I second this request! Very useful, indeed.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thirding the request for Google Maps integration. It would double the utility of GARS, especially for what we're reviewing on my site.