The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-25-2007, 10:02 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

as an FYI: I have disabled GAL here for the next couple of days in while I prepare and test the next version before release.

The next version is actually a complete rewrite from the ground up and it is looking sweet. Why a rewrite? In order to progress past current issues with the 5.0 beta, I needed to rethink much of how GAL was structured. The result is a radically improved system that is significantly faster and more powerful.

I have already completed 95% of the admin and auto-linking side including statistics, phrasing, etc that were not completed in the 5.0 beta.

A quick run down of improvements:
Completely rewrote all javascript code to create a far more robust class of objects
Rewrote entire post caching system. The system now caches keywords with bbcode so there is no search and replace per post anymore. At run time, the bbcode is turned into span elements that the GAL js now turns into relevant links. This means FAR less server resources and much faster results as most of the work is handled on the client.
This has also enabled me to greatly reduce (if not eliminate) false positives becoming linked (i.e. words in hyper links and HTML elements).
The content of popups are now optionally fetched via ajax when needed which greatly reduces the size of pages and speed of rendering.
Because I have switched to a bbcode model, anywhere bbcode is used, GAL will appear (i.e. vbacmps pages, signatures, etc...) without any other modifications.

There is a lot more to go over, but Ill wait until it is closer to release.

When?

Tough to say. I have already spent over 70 hours the past 10 days on the next version and I suspect it will take around another 20-30 hours to get it to the stage I want it in. I won't release it until it has been tested here and a couple other sites and I feel that it is as complete as possible.

Most of the hard stuff is done, its now down to testing , debugging and working on the glossary side of things.

Hang tight, it should be out soon.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Ah..

You need another test site, I have one live and two dev sites available if you so wish just say the word Sam
Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Sounds cool, especially this bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Because I have switched to a bbcode model, anywhere bbcode is used, GAL will appear (i.e. vbacmps pages, signatures, etc...) without any other modifications.
Although I can think of a downside to this, it maybe there will be some parts of other addons using bbcode where GAL wont be wanted but bbcode will still be needed. As long as theres a way to reasonably easily disable it where required it sounds great.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Ohhh yeah!!!

This next beta sounds excellent

If you want another Beta tester I have a Dev and Live site i can test it on.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Likewise! Sounds very positive... Can't wait to give it a try and see how it works out.

James and Susan
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Sounds cool, especially this bit:

Although I can think of a downside to this, it maybe there will be some parts of other addons using bbcode where GAL wont be wanted but bbcode will still be needed. As long as theres a way to reasonably easily disable it where required it sounds great.
I would like to have an optional BB Code which if used says the system to NOT use GAL for this entry.

PS: first post - woot ^^ :P
Old 04-28-2007, 06:40 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

awesome, sounds like this version is coming along much better ^^
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Looking forward to it... love speed and optimizations
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Just a progress update.

Since I have written the entire code base from scratch, I have opted to reversion the next release as 6.0, totally skipping completion of the existing 5.0 beta. 6.0 is coming along nicely. I have all areas done apart from:

Glossary (needs total recoding)
upgraders from 4.x and 5x

All other areas are completed and phrased. I may work on it this weekend to get it to a stage where I can reinstall it here while I work on the upgraders and glossary.

I mayyy release an early beta without the glossary, however I am also thinking I should have it as complete as possible before initial release. The glossary shouldnt be toooo much work, but its tough to say with the amount of changes I have made to the code base. Upgraders from previous versions will be the bigger problem. Anyhoo, it is already significantly faster and more robust than the 5x beta with many new features (i.e. tracking when a popup is opened).

Its cooooooooming
Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Stop teasing!!!!!