The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-22-2005, 05:00 AM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Question I want to link "baseball" and "baseball bat". How?

I'm trying to link different terms, the smaller of which is wholly contained in the larger.

For example, say I want to create an autolink for baseball and another, going to a totally different URL, for baseball bat. What's happening is that I'm getting links like this:

baseball bat

not

baseball bat

I've tried changing the ordinals, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I added the shorter term first, and then the second one.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edit: Looks like it might be related to this thread about ordinals. Feel free to lock/merge/whatever.

Last edited by bob; 11-22-2005 at 06:18 AM..
Old 11-22-2005, 06:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

you running the latest version Bob?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:06 AM

I'm running GAL 4.6.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

It seems you have the same problem as me.
http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=593
Old 11-22-2005, 03:10 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

4.61 dramatically improves the order links are replaced however cclaerhout is right, there are some instances I just cant get my head around! (At least - yet!)
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 AM

So, let me see if I've got this right. Suppose I want to GAL the following:
  • bat
  • baseball bat
  • aluminum baseball bat
  • used aluminum baseball bat
would it be best to give the one-term autolinkee (just making up terms) a high ordinal? And the two-term autolinkee a lower ordinal?

For example:
  • bat (4 ordinal)
  • baseball bat (3 ordinal)
  • aluminum baseball bat (2 ordinal)
  • used aluminum baseball bat (1 ordinal)
and if that's the case, could I just as a rule set ordinals something like this:
  • bat (10000 ordinal)
  • baseball bat (1000 ordinal)
  • aluminum baseball bat (100 ordinal)
  • used aluminum baseball bat (10 ordinal)
And if that's a good idea, would it be possible to have GAL automatically assign an order to autolinkees according to the number of terms in them?

For example, all four-term autolinkees would automatically have a priority over three-term autolinkees, three-term over two, and two-term over one.

Do I understand the system correctly?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 AM

Are they all linking to the same url/description?

The problem here is that you could link baseball bat then it would come along and think bat was up for being linked which could give you wacky results.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:26 AM

No, all the links would all be different.

I'm using baseball and baseball bat as an example that's close to the problem I'm having on my forum.

On my forum, I have a GAL for one term, say grammar. But I'd also like to link to a popular book, which happens to have a name something like A Great Grammar Book. I'd like to set that up to GAL to my Amazon affiliate link.

But it's not working the way I'd hope.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:26 AM

So you may have gathered that many of us are using GAL to plug in our affiliate links. Yeah, that's important, too.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 AM

Im going to have to mull this one about. If you link bat first then Baseball bat wont capture. If you do baseball bat first, bat may link twice. There may not be an easy solution.