The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Feature Request of Bug Fix?

I cannot seem to find how to control the html that displays Flash banners. If I am inserting a flash banner on some static web page there is a set of embed tags with HTML that I can control various aspect of how the flash banner will display. I do not see a way to do this with Flash banners in GAB , did I miss this?

The reason I ask is that because one of my advertisers gives me Flash banners that don't have a background color in the Flash itself, but rather uses the HTML in the embed tags to normally set the background color they want. Recently they sent me one where they wanted a black background, but upon being displayed in the forum it was a transparent background and my forum is the typical off-white background, needless to say their white text was very hard to see!

Any help appreciated!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You can either edit teh GAB_item_flash template or simply use it as an HTML ad (i.e. google adsense). Personally, that is what I would do
Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Can you give me an example of using it as an HTML ad? the advertiser sent me HTML and a SWF file for their banner ad but once again the SWF itself has the wrong background color and they are depending on the HTML to provide the background color.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM

BTW I changed the GAB Flash template to the following:

HTML Code:
<a href="$ad[url]" target="_blank" title="$ad[title]">

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" <if condition="$ad[width]">width="$ad[width]"</if> <if condition="$ad[height]">height="$ad[height]"</if> id="$ad[imgpath]" align="middle">

<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain">

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

<param name="movie" value="$ad[img]">

<param name="quality" value="high">

<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000">

<embed src="$ad[img]" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000"  <if condition="$ad[width]">width="$ad[width]"</if> <if condition="$ad[height]">height="$ad[height]"</if> name="$ad[imgpath]" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

</object></a>
Yet the background is still WHITE despite changing it to all zeros for BLACK... not sure why that doesn't work...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 PM

I took out this line:

HTML Code:
 <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
and now it works...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

THats a tough one. See, if the falsh file has no fixed background, you wont see the ad with the transparent value set above.
If the transparent value isnt set above, the banner will cover your drop down menus

Depending on your ad placement, it may not matter
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Can you give me an example of setting up a Flash ad as an HTML ad instead of a Flash type ad? That might work for what I want since I have the HTML they sent me to display their ad.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 AM

If you already have the HTML, just enter it in as an HTML ad. If you want to make a flash banner using just the HTML (i.e. so it will rotate with othe HTML banners)... what I do is set the ad up as normal, display it, then check out the source code for the page. That is what I will put in the HTML box
Old 05-08-2007, 06:20 AM

Hmmm I tried that and it didn't work right, I will go back and try it again with some different options tweaked and see what I can come up with, of course as a text ad the hits aren't getting tracked.

Ok here is what I have in he HTML code box, banner type is a header banner and type is html/adsense

Code:
<html>
  <head>
    <title>awe_burn_cc</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <meta name="author" content="">
    <meta name="generator" content="SWiSHmax http://www.swishzone.com">
    <meta name="description" content="awe_burn_cc">
    <!-- urls used in the movie -->
    <!-- http://www.awetuning3.com -->
    <!-- Created by SWiSHmax - Flash Made Easy - www.swishzone.com -->
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#000000">
    <center>
      <object
        classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
        codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=4,0,2,0"
        id="awe_burn_cc"
        width="468" height="60"
      >
        <param name="movie" value="awe_burn_cc.swf">
        <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000">
        <param name="quality" value="high">
        <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="samedomain">
        <embed
          type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
          pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
          name="awe_burn_cc"
          width="468" height="60"
          src="http://www.caymanclub.net/images/banners/awe_burn_cc2.swf"
          bgcolor="#000000"
          quality="high"
          swliveconnect="true"
          allowscriptaccess="samedomain"
        >
          <noembed>
          </noembed>
        </embed>
      </object>
    </center>
  </body>
</html>
What displays is a black rectangle 468x60 but not the shockwave flash file and if I click on the black rectangle nothing happens.
Any idea why this isn't working???

Last edited by KenDude; 05-08-2007 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 PM

What I mean is:

Set it up as a flash banner in GARS. Once it is working, view the source on the page and copy the relevant HTML for the banner . What you have there is the HTML for an entire page.

To get Flash banners to track clicks, it needs to point to the redirection URL.

HTHs!