The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Problem with styling of 2 modules

Ok here we go I've been using GARS for a while but have not figured out how to solve two small problems I have:

1. How can I make the list items in the TOC module start from further left? They take up too much empty space on the left, check attachment:

1.jpg

2. I have set my module column width to 150px and it's working cool except when I use the users rating module. Then the whole column stretches to 230 pixels or something like that. If I use the module collapse button (not even sure why there is a collapse button in this specific module only), then the column returns to normal width. See attachment 2 (not much help I know)

2.jpg

Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: The left space is from the dot that is created by using <ul><li>title</li></ul> in the /geek/gars/mods/display/toc.php file. Untested, but you'd need to edit that file, removing all <ul> <li> </li> and </ul> tags, replacing only the <li> tag with a <br /> tag and see how it looks on screen.

2: That is from the $rating_barlength variable, which sets the length for the rating bars in the fetch_rating_block function in the gars_class_core.php file:
Code:
$rating_barlength = intval(round($rating_percent) * .75);
You can change .75 to a smaller number to reduce the length of the rating bars, but note that if it is too small, then the bars might not look very distinguishable. Only so much content can fit in 150 pixels, and if it doesn't fit, the box gets stretched when the bars appear on screen.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks for the reply, just two small things

1. I thought of doing that, but won't that remove completely the "list" style from the toc? If yes, then it will be hard for the users to tell apart each chapter from the next etc. I was wondering if there's a way to move the list itself further to the left. Is that some CSS I should play around with or something?

2. I will do that, but I was wondering also about the space between the content edge and the table border, where can I change (lessen) that?

Thankyou.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: Yes, it'll remove the list style but lists tend to have extra space on the side. Another idea is to replace the <li> tag with a <br />• tag/ASCII bullet combo, or get cute and throw in an IMG tag or something fancy.

2: The GARS_mod_container template contains a couple of TABLE tags, each with the following attributes that you could tweak:
Code:
cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="$stylevar[cellspacing]"
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Cool, thankyou