The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Question Sort by "First Post Date"?

Hi,

I am thinking about some kind of a news forum and would like to do this with GARS!

So, is it possible to sort threads by the first post date and not by the last reply date?!

Tobi
Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Not by default, however Ill see if I can add the feature.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 AM

That would be great, can you say how long that might take to add such a feature?! Just for my information, I do not want to hurry you

Tobi
Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 PM

Uh, and btw way, I played a bit with the templates! Is it possible to get the date of the first post of a thread and show it in GARS_forumdisplay?!

Tobi
Old 02-01-2006, 06:02 PM

Cant promise anything right now. Its not too much trouble to work in though so theoretically it could be next week.

Off the top of my head, you want to look at the GARS_threadbit template
Old 02-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Cant promise anything right now. Its not too much trouble to work in though so theoretically it could be next week.
Ok, would be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Off the top of my head, you want to look at the GARS_threadbit template
Right, but I also thought about a design like:

Date 02.02.06
--------------------------------------------
Title G
Synopsis G

Title F
Synopsis F

Date 31.01.06
Title E
Synopsis E

Date 29.01.06
Title D
Synopsis D

Title C
Synopsis C

Title B
Synopsis B

Date 28.01.06
Title A
Synopsis A

And so on, and for that, I guess, it might be easier to modify GARS_forumdisplay instead of GARS_threadbit?!

Regards,

Tobi
Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 PM

You want to group the threadbits by date? If so, thats a bit more work as you will need some logic (code) to do that for you.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM

If possible, yes I would like to group threadbits by date!

Can this be done using vBs PlugIn System or do I need to make file chances within your code?!

Tobi
Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 PM

I think you are looking at a potentially complex plug in. There isnt really a hook clause to add a group by command in the SQL (which would be the easiest) though it could still be tweaked.

I dont think it would be very straight forward
Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Hrm, I never thought of something complex, but something really simple!

My english is killing me, but I will try to explain it

When it is possible just to get the first post date, I could compare dates!

So, let's say we got a couple of news (threads) which are orderd by their "first post date", not grouped!

You have a mysql query and to work out the result, you are using while...

For the first thread there is nothing to compare, so I set $show_date = $thread['first_post_date']! At the template I set a conditional, if $show_date is set, show it. And then set $temp_date = $thread['first_post_date']!

The loop goes on, second thread! And now I can compare $temp_date with $thread['first_post_date'] for the second thread. If the dates are equal, $show_date is empty, if the dates are not equal $show_date = $thread['first_post_date'] and because of the template conditional it will be shown!

I hope, that is not to naiv and can be done somehow

Tobi