The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Which English Characters Does GALS support

I am trying to cross reference some keywords using GALS and am having difficulty when using certain characters.

I have a keyword field (like vbalinks) that helps organize my info. However these are all words that are used in forums dialogue on the board. I would like the keywords to be somewhat unique so that when they are clicked on they only search the keywords. So instead of just writing "Monkey" as my keyword I am writing "[Monkey]" or "(Monkey)". However these are not working as links. The only one that does is "_Monkey" but that is kinda ugly graphically.

Which characters does GALS recognize? Is it only the Alphabet, Numbers and underscores? Everything else messes with the html, so there are problems?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:09 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The [ and ( are both special regexp characters with special meaning. You can try to escape them by putting an escape character before them. i.e. [monkey] becomes \[monkey\]

Not sure if that will totally sort it - but it should help!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

It doesn't work. I wasn't sure if you meant use the "\" in the replacement text or the target text in the forums, but either way it did not work. Actually it really messes up the html in my posts. I guess I'll just have to stick with an underscore. Do any other special characters work?

I figured out that I could have the GAL replacement text be "Monkey" or "Funny Monkey" and then have the subsequent keyword search be "[Monkey]" or "[Funny+Monkey]". However the only way to get it to work was to add a gibberish word (sdfdsfas,) before my replacement text of "Monkey"

Last edited by waltercat; 06-05-2006 at 11:52 PM..