The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-01-2006, 01:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.1.0 Release Discussion

I have uploaded the latest version of GARS (2.1) to the download area for current license holders.

This release features fixes for all open bugs and adds several new features. Please ensure that you read this post (and thread) for important upgrade instructions.

In addition to bug fixes, here is a brief on the new features:
  • Specify thumbnail size on a type basis. This means that you can have 1 type produce thumbs of 100x100 and another 75x75. This setting is now in the types editor in the admincp. If left blank, it uses the values from your settings page
  • Filter by select lists. There is now an option to filter a forum by a select custom field. To enable this option, edit your type setting and tick the 'filter by this field' option next to the custom field. You will also need to add the filter module to your forumdisplay module set (it is only designed for the forumdisplay set) and edit its settings accordingly
  • I have dramatically improved the alpha bar filtering so you can filter by letter, the filter mod and/or change the sort order without loosing all the filter info
  • I added a module width setting for forumdisplay and showthread pages in the type settings. This will let you specify a width in pixels or percentages for the module containers that appear on the left or right of a page.
  • I added a new template called GARS_comment_plus that is a traditional vb postbit, but will also show the member ratings. To enable it, just edit your template set and enter GARS_comment_plus for the comment option.
  • I added an option to override vB's shout prevention for thread titles option. This is there to prevent people posting a thread with all upper case letters. With some users, this was causing a problem for product reviews like HP J2O as it would make the title Hp j2o.
To upgrade, upload all files from the 2.1.0 package to their corresponding location on your server (overwriting previous versions).
Reimport the product xml (overwriting the previous version)
Make sure that you re-import any GARS add on packages you may have (i.e. the links or release packages). Be sure that you select the option to import only templates and phrases to prevent recreating additional types and such.

Please leave this thread for discussing the release. Bugs should be posted in the tracker.

nJoy
Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Just a quick note to say I preemtively squashed a small bug with the freshly uploaded package. If you have downloaded and installed before reading this message, redownload and replace your geek/gars/includes/gars_class_list.php file. This prevents a bug with filtering.

nJoy
Old 12-02-2006, 04:18 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

First to install, but I can't see the forum which is GARS enable but I can read the thread which was called in the CMPS?

What could have happen, an error page display nothing just like when I open an IE page when internet is not connected?

But when I disable the GARS from the product management I can see the forum but withoht GARS feature.

Help Mr. Geek, I have VB3.6.4, SEO and CMPS 2.1

Last edited by ang2el; 12-02-2006 at 05:10 AM..
Old 12-02-2006, 04:46 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
I added a module width setting for forumdisplay and showthread pages in the type settings. This will let you specify a width in pixels or percentages for the module containers that appear on the left or right of a page.
I can't see it.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM

Can you provide a URL ang2el? Also check your error logs and your uploads. This is usually a result of a php error that conks out from a bad upload.

Efil. The setting is in the type settings. Under forumdisplay options and showthread options
Old 12-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I re-install everything, I don't know whats going on?

still no effect

Last edited by ang2el; 12-02-2006 at 07:11 PM..
Old 12-02-2006, 03:53 PM

Talking

Oh! How did I miss this one last night?
I'll upgrade to the new version as soon as we get back home... The ability to filter is going to be a total godsend for us.

::dancing a quick jig::

My partner is going to be sooo happy...

Good on ya Geek, thanks!

James
Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

After installing, the acp gars setting are empty, Link Directory (forumdisplay) give an error:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_list.php on line 212
and
Die Cookies konnten nicht gesetzt werden, da der Header schon an den Browser geschickt wurde.
Datei: /home/www/doc/153543/mydomain/www/forum/includes/class_core.php
Zeile: 2984
Quick after importing the product it's showing 2.1.1. version but finally in the product overview 2.1.0.
And as I expected the on edit customfields single tick boxes bug is still alive.
Please help asap, thanks.
B.t.w. I downloaded the package 30 min before.

Last edited by Ramses; 12-02-2006 at 05:32 PM..
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 PM

I re-installed 2.0.1, I don't know what happen to 2.1.1

Mr. Geek Please let me know as I could see the thread from CMPS but not the forum home of the GARS enable forum.

I think I will have to install the next version.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:14 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Hi Geek,
I want to revert to v2.01 , for meantime.
Can i just copy the 2.01 files (overwriting 2.1) and upload the Xml (overwriting 2.1)?