The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Modifying forumview.php and showthread.php for GARS only?

Okay, this is my predicament:

I want to include my right-menu from vBadvanced, but only on the forums where GARS is enabled.

To include the right menu, I have to include this piece of code in the corresponding php file:

Code:
define('VBA_PORTAL', true);
define('VBA_PAGE', 'include');
So for me, when I want to include the right menu on the forumview and showthread, I have to include that code in forumview.php and showthread.php - Problem is, this of course doesn't just include the right menu in the GARS forums, but the rest of the forums as well.

So my question is obviously, is it possible to alter the GARS code so that it will use modified versions of these files, for instance forumviewGARS.php and showthreadGARS.php? Or perhaps an even easier way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

If I understand correctly, you can try to use the gars_ignition_end hook to see if gars was fired up. If so, then include the define for vba... not sure though as I havent tried
Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm a designer, and not much of a coder unfortunately, so I'm not sure exactly what the statement would look like:

Something like this:

Code:
if (defined('gars_ignition_end'))
{
}
?

Edit: Well that statement I created didn't work, so I guess I'll have to wait for you assistance

Please help me, I'm dumb :P

Last edited by Lars-Christian; 04-06-2007 at 04:07 PM..
Old 04-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You would do something like this:

Create a plugin to use the gars_ignition_end hook. In it, include the code:
PHP Code:
if (is_object($gars))
{
define('VBA_PORTAL'true);
define('VBA_PAGE''include');

But that will only work if including the define's after global has started is OK.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Hmm, doesn't seem like I have that hook in my install of GARS. I only seem to have two hooks, gars_rating_select_start and gars_rating_select_end. Does this have to do with me running 2.1.4, and perhaps this hook wasn't included here?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM

hmmm... Think so, try updating to 2.1.6 or 2.1.5
Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Okay, I think I might have found an easier way. And for the reason that I've changed quite a few templates, I can't really upgrade, so I'm looking for another solution.

If I include this in global.php:

Code:
if (THIS_SCRIPT == 'gars')
{
}
It should work. I just need to figure out what the statement to see if GARS is running or not up there needs to look like, as that one there doesn't work.

Last edited by Lars-Christian; 04-06-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Old 04-06-2007, 05:49 PM

That wont work, there is no script called gars.

When global starts up, gars_ignition.php runs to see if it needs to run. If so, $gars or $vbulletin->gars will exist as an object and take over processing the forum/thread as a gars element.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Ah, I see, well that makes it sort of a chicken and egg situation, because the definition:

Code:
if (defined('VBA_PORTAL'))
{
	require_once('./includes/vba_cmps_include_template.php');
}
Is added near the top of global.php - So I guess I will have to work around with that, and see if there is any way to make it work.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

You have to check the forumids to see if GARS is going to be loaded before VBAdvanced Include Top.