The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default My GARS feature request list....

I seem to have so many one off ideas about how GARS can be improved on my site, I figured I would post them all in the hopes that they can be addresses in an interim release. If you have any additional comments or ideas please feel free to tag along.

Filter module: more than 1 filter option

Forumdisplay: threadbit in columns: I would like to be able to display articles by header image with description beneath them in 5 columns, unlimited depth or page based depth (i.e. 25 per page). I am using GARS for a few different article/listing systems so I have been getting creative with how each entity should be displayed. For some of them it makes sense to display them horizontally.

Header image redesign:
I want my users to upload a large image when they create the post. This image should display under the name in the GARS_pb, but on the forumdisplay/threadbit template, I would like to see the thumbnailed version.

Module alignment: horizontal options (I thought this was already there, but I can't seem to find the option to do it)

Clean up the article editing page: I'd like more checkboxes to disable the display of functions on the create/edit page (i.e. remove feature until, post article as, post icon display, on a per forum basis). For some forum/article types, the ability to slim down the edit page and make it a lot neater would be valuable.

Userprofile page (GARS Top X plugin): It would be nice to display the thumbnailed header image next to the titles for this plugin.

Module sets: each module in place should be able to be named in the display (this would make admining a large complex page easier (i.e. put a label on the modules instead of just "Custom Field".

Marked.php: I now understand what this does, but it really doesn't make much sense to me. The marked.php file is not currently linked from any of the GARS pages. In some situations I would like to publicly display the people who mark the thread (perhaps as a module underneath the top post). This is the way the "Thank You" hack and "Post Groan" hacks work. Your system is much cleaner and I would prefer to use one hack author.

Multilevel thread marking: This is my dream hack. I would like to be able to have members mark the thread, but specific who caused them to mark it. For example, if I am running a propagation style system, one member serves as the original core by creating the post, members follow up by clicking "I got it from them", and then when these names are display as per the previous idea (underneath the post), users can indicate an additional level of marking by selection who served as their second level. By capturing this data, you could very easily display a css based tree showing the distribution of a good or idea through the entire network. Users would know if they had a 2nd or third generation of the item. If you need an example of this I can show you on my website. This could be a groundbreaking concept as you could easily use it for six-degree type modeling of ANYTHING, and the network would have a post just for discussing it.

I think a lot of these ideas would be very valuable to the current GARS community but could also bring in a large amount of new users.

I for one would be interested in paying for each and every one of these items if there was a way for me to do it. I know The Geek has extremely limited time but the more people that are interested in this the greater the potential revenue would be. If any of these items can be handled as one offs on a per hack pricing model I would be interested in hearing about it.

I also wanted to also publicly thank The Geek for making such a great product and providing excellent support for the few bugs that have arisen.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Trana, thanks for the great input. Ill try to tackle each suggestion one by one

Quote:
Originally Posted by trana View Post
Filter module: more than 1 filter option
This was originally in there but had to be removed. Why? Because the threadlist is embedded in a form for users that can mass moderate a forum. You can not embed forms in HTML therefore I cant use a form to house the filter options. Instead, I have to use javascript to redirect the page when the filter box changes. Therefore I cant have multiple selections! Bit of a bummer really. The only other options is to possibly create a popup form but I dont think that is as intuitive for users.

Quote:
Forumdisplay: threadbit in columns: I would like to be able to display articles by header image with description beneath them in 5 columns, unlimited depth or page based depth (i.e. 25 per page). I am using GARS for a few different article/listing systems so I have been getting creative with how each entity should be displayed. For some of them it makes sense to display them horizontally.
It does and I would love to do this, however it is much more complex than you would think. In order to make columns from a list, you need to know how many rows you have to work with before you start to make the columns. Since the threadbits are created as vB loops through the results, this is very difficult. Saying that, I kind of had an idea of possibly how to do it as I was just typing this Ill play around with it when I can get some more time. COlumns would be a cool addition.

Quote:
Header image redesign: I want my users to upload a large image when they create the post. This image should display under the name in the GARS_pb, but on the forumdisplay/threadbit template, I would like to see the thumbnailed version.
This is already pretty dooable with how GARS already works. The only problem is extracting the thumbnail path for each threadbit. This is easily done with a simple module, however Ill see if I can find a way to make it even easier.

Quote:
Module alignment: horizontal options (I thought this was already there, but I can't seem to find the option to do it)
Depends on the module and the location. By default, top and bottom placeholders lay out horizontally.
Quote:
Clean up the article editing page: I'd like more checkboxes to disable the display of functions on the create/edit page (i.e. remove feature until, post article as, post icon display, on a per forum basis). For some forum/article types, the ability to slim down the edit page and make it a lot neater would be valuable.
this will take some thought on my part Im hesitant to add additional options to types unless I really have to Much of what your asking could be done with some conditionals in templates as a workaround.

Quote:
Userprofile page (GARS Top X plugin): It would be nice to display the thumbnailed header image next to the titles for this plugin.
Its easy to do - its just that my focus is on the core products and I dont have much time for the unsupported add ons

Quote:
Module sets: each module in place should be able to be named in the display (this would make admining a large complex page easier (i.e. put a label on the modules instead of just "Custom Field".
You can do this on many of the modules (i.e. the custom fields module). Some do it for you (i.e. the top module). Can you give me some other examples?

Quote:
Marked.php: I now understand what this does, but it really doesn't make much sense to me. The marked.php file is not currently linked from any of the GARS pages. In some situations I would like to publicly display the people who mark the thread (perhaps as a module underneath the top post). This is the way the "Thank You" hack and "Post Groan" hacks work. Your system is much cleaner and I would prefer to use one hack author.
A module would show those results quite easily - but once again its down to time for making them. I really wish there were others that would jump in and contribute module making

Quote:
Multilevel thread marking: This is my dream hack. I would like to be able to have members mark the thread, but specific who caused them to mark it. For example, if I am running a propagation style system, one member serves as the original core by creating the post, members follow up by clicking "I got it from them", and then when these names are display as per the previous idea (underneath the post), users can indicate an additional level of marking by selection who served as their second level. By capturing this data, you could very easily display a css based tree showing the distribution of a good or idea through the entire network. Users would know if they had a 2nd or third generation of the item. If you need an example of this I can show you on my website. This could be a groundbreaking concept as you could easily use it for six-degree type modeling of ANYTHING, and the network would have a post just for discussing it.
Quote:
I also wanted to also publicly thank The Geek for making such a great product and providing excellent support for the few bugs that have arisen.

Thanks!
My pleasure
Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Addition to my wanted feature list:

Per forum marked.php directives: Right now if you used marked.php and assign the module to multiple types/forums, you will get a select box listing every single thread that has been marked (regardless of where it resides). The ability to restrict the output to just a single forum is important. It should be implemented in marked.php so that you can call it properly via the URL (like the way search.php works).

Thanks again.