The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-31-2006, 05:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.0 status

Hey All,

Thought I would tease you with whats in the pipeline for GARS PRO.
Currently, there are a few minor open issues with GARS, however as I am in middle of coding v.2.0, I have found it difficult to work toward releasing a maintenance fix for the open bugs. Therefore I have moved GARS 2.0 onto my key development plate so I can address open issues and introduce some new cool features.

The key new feature is one that has been in the works for awhile, however the past week I have made some strong progress with it: Custom Fields.
This is similar to User Profile Fields, however they are designed to tack on to a GARS entry without the overhead of unserializing (which is the current method of extra field handling via mods).
This will allow you to tack extra profile fields on to threadbits as well as showthread pages and reduce the need to write modules simply to capture extra fields. In fact, 99% of fields captures should be able to be handled via the custom fields.

Custom field list.
This is a list of all custom fields. Forgive the stupid titles, it was for testing . This is 1 of each of the current types of fields on offer.

Edit field
This is a snapshot of one of the edit pages (this one for a textarea) to give you an idea of some of the options available.

Edit Type
This is where you assign custom fields to your types (at the bottom of each type page). This helps to lower overhead by only grabbing the fields you want for that specific type.

Edit/new thread
Here is a snapshot of a new thread showing 1 of each of the currently supported field types.

Other features

Im tweaking a couple other areas, however thats mostly centered around adding support for viewing rating results and percentages in threadbits.

When will it be done? Tough to say at this stage. Im most of the way through (about 80%). It depends on how the other 20% behaves. If it behaves well, you could see beta around here by next weekend. If not, it could take longer.

nJoy
Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Just great... Thanks for the time being devoted to work on all those nice scripts.

Would the custom fields be searchable? Also what about the RTL layout issues. These are the things that matter me most at the moment.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:54 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Not sure about the search options. This would open the door for them being searchable, however ive never hooked into any search function yet, so I'm not totally sure how easy or difficult it is yet.

As for RTL issues, I dont see why it would be difficult to do, however I will have to investigate the implimentation. I doubt it will be very difficult to do
Old 03-31-2006, 10:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

any rough estimate for release? Looking forward to it.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:27 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hey geek, sounds very cool
Old 04-01-2006, 09:56 AM

If we are lucky, there will be a public beta next weekend. If Im not, it will be before my 80th Birthday
Old 04-01-2006, 12:11 PM

Im looking for the PRO version.

I need it and I want to pay for it
________
Buy Scale

Last edited by Coriolan; 02-24-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Old 04-01-2006, 07:46 PM

It looks great. This is exactly the type of thing I was asking about in my previous posts.

I hope you will re-open sales with the release of 2.0.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:13 PM

looks cool. i am curious though. how is the debugging with the unsolved issues?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM

I think Ive got most issues resolved in this one. However it may be worth either bumping any issues you have that are outstanding or at least slipping a link in this post.

Actually, in second thought, I think I do a round up post asking for any unresolved issues to be posted in there. I went through the first couple pages in the troubleshooting forum and have 90% of any outstanding issues resolved, however there are a couple I simply cant reproduce as of now.