The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Phrases broken in 2.1.7b

After having installed GARS v2.1.7b some my translated phrases have gone. I have manually changed these on first install and I'd really love not to have to do this again!

Somehow it's not all in English now, but only some terms. When I take a look into my custom termsets, all of the phrases are gone and exchanged with a button "Add new".

How can I fix this. FAST?? Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

When you install or upgrade GARS, vB may delete existing phrases associated with it. Therefire it is a good idea to export any translations before upgrading.

After you install, you may also want to admincp>>gars>>tools>>Rebuild custom field phrases as well as reimport any add-ons (choosing to import only the phrases and templates)

This is outlined on the download page.

HTHs
Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks! Another issue that's making my stomach hurt is that after the update about 8 templates are marked as outdated. Since I have manually altered the contents of v2.1.6 templates, I can not simply upgrade to the new v2.1.7 templates, right?

Is there another method of importing my custom changes to the new templates than doing a step-by-step comparison and manual edits? This is driving me crazy! And I will never do an upgrade again... if I can't do it automatically!

Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Im not sure I follow you. If you change the templates to any version (GARS or vBulletin) then when you upgrade, you may have to update your template changes too. GARS will not STOP working if you do not update your templates, but there are often bug fixes in them that you will not benefit from should you choose not to update.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:26 PM

So, does this mean, that I can simply have these templates updated automatically by the system? I have modified some standard v2.1.6 templates by myself and I'm afraid of losing all of these changes when upgrading.

BTW, after the update, your copyright info is placed directly below my own, which in this case breaks it's connection to a custom text addon. I'd like to put your copyright directly under that addon. How?

Thanks.

Last edited by pixie; 04-27-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM

The system wont automatically update your templates, but vBulletin will continue using your modified templates. If you revert them, your custom changes will go.

The xopyright placement hasnt changed since I started releasing GARS. It will always appear below your copyright and there isnt much of a way to change it
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM

Alright, I have now updated my templates and re-imported all phrases, but one problem still persists: It seems that some GARS phrases refuse to accept changes, no matter how often I try.

Example:

The standard GARS phrase is: "Topics in this category." (english)
My custom translation then is: "Themen in dieser Kategorie." (german)

The phrase displayed is: "Themen in diesem Category" (english/german mix)

Although the correct term shows up in the phrase editor, it does not update in forumdisplay.

I have succesfully saved changes. I have aso re-build all custom fields and followed your advice.

What can this be? Help please!!
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 AM

Are you positive you havent just missed a phrase somewhere in the terms set?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 AM

The funny thing is, that all term set, which have been created before the update, do not show any phrases at all (only the Capitalized, Capitalized Plural, etc.)

The only termset, that is complete is the termset than came with the release module! A bug?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:43 AM

OK, it's working now, but I have to manually re-create all of my term sets.