The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-30-2006, 04:05 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Couple of Snipped URL Problems

Couple of problems with snipped urls.

1. Does a snipped url cut off only the "http:www" or is it supposed to truncate the entire url? I am having a problem where if I enter a long url it is not getting truncated. Instead it add the entire url (sans the http://www) and blows out my module size.

2. I have also noticed that if I create a snipped url and then assign and name a title in the custom field module, the title (i.e. website) is displayed even if no website is entered. In other custom field types the title does not show.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:02 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Walter - it is supposed to snip off the http://www part to leave more 'guts' of the domain. Im not sure about the other problem - can you consistantly repro and give me access to see/try?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Geek, I'll set something up so you can see what I mean on the title showing.

As for the snipped url, what do you reccommend I do for urls that are larger than the 200px wide module setting? I thought that long urls would look something like this if really long:

yahoo.com/longurl...index.html
Old 10-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Since the domain is the identifying part, I made long urls like bobsmegabutt.com/yafa.asds into bobsmegabutt.com...
Old 10-02-2006, 05:11 PM

SO if I have a snipped url field, it should be truncating long urls like you mentioned? That isn't happening for me:

http://www.prenatalyogacenter.com/fo...read.php?t=173

If the url is longer than this it still shows all the info.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 PM

can you PM me admincp details again? I want to check a couple thigns as Im gearing up for a 2.0.1 release.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Just as an FYI for any others that may have this problem - the Maximum Length setting is a bit misleading... That is actually the amount of characters to show. IN this case it was set to 200, hence the long URL... I shortened it to 20 and it works like a charm.

Ill look at making that a bit more obvious in the future.

HTHs
Old 10-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Whilst on the subject of snipped url's .... is there anyway of removing it and just showing the www. whatever url .com as I'm not overly keen on it missing the www. it just looks messy - personal preference of course.

Cheers!

Jason
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 PM

A quick file edit would fix that. Ill take a look at it for you when I get back in town Tuesday.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Cheers chief, thanks for cracking additions and great support

'Ave a good one

Jase