The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
The merging problem most likely occured because the merged threadhas an older date (Im guessing)
Not sure about the other issues (ill test the division by 0 error though I think I have sorted this one out for gold).

Let me know!
Gold?

This notorious Unable to Add Cookies bug is still jumping out all over the place ...

I can recreate this error at will 100% of the time in ForumDisplay, and sequentially based on whether you are logged in or not in Showthread ...

vBulletin Message
Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home/bhm1264/public_html/iowabeautiful/geek/gars/mods/gabads.php
Line: 14

The gabads.php file below will create the above error 100% of the time if you enable it in Forum Display....

The gabads.php file below will create the above error 100% of the time if you login status changes (i.e. you were logged in or you were logged out) if you enable it in ShowThread Display ...

gabads.php
==============================
<?PHP
if ($stage == "display")
{
global $GAB_ads;
eval('$output.="' . fetch_template('GARS_gab') . '";');
}
elseif($stage == "settings")
{
print_description_row("This module will display GAB ads");
}

?>
===================================

GARS_gab
$GAB_ads[0]

This bug is documented across a dozen or so threads ...

Greg
Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sorry Greg, I simply cant reproduce this.

In fact, I am using the exact same code in the tutorial forum here-> http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

To demonstrate (though I have to say it looks lame on the showthread page!)

A suggestion was made to use any HTML, did that too and it displays fine.
Im not exactly sure what the problem is, however its only been a few people that have mentioned it. Since it isnt a core module with GARS, I dont see why it would hold up the release anyway.

Im not shrugging off responsability - Im very eager to find the problem, but so far I simply cant reproduce it.

Here is the exact file im using (maybe its something with the editor you used?)
Attached Files
File Type: zip gab.zip (282 Bytes, 161 views)
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-05-2006, 02:57 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Sorry Greg, I simply cant reproduce this.

In fact, I am using the exact same code in the tutorial forum here-> http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

To demonstrate (though I have to say it looks lame on the showthread page!)

A suggestion was made to use any HTML, did that too and it displays fine.
Im not exactly sure what the problem is, however its only been a few people that have mentioned it. Since it isnt a core module with GARS, I dont see why it would hold up the release anyway.
Well ... quite a few people have commented about it in various threads with a "I'm also seeing this" type comment ...

I've showed you that it is reproduceable consistently ...

It's been reported consistently for several months now (which includes several updates) so the problem is a core problem, not simply a randomn event.

I've sent you the website links so you can observe it yourself and I've sent you the admin login details ...

Those facts alone would suggest that it is not simply a randomn occurence.

I would encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity and identify the core problem ... because it is a GARS module header handling problem that means that anyone who is trying to use a custom module is likely to be at risk.

And the risk here is that the thread becomes complete undisplayable, not simply a visual problem ...

Quote:
Im not shrugging off responsability - Im very eager to find the problem, but so far I simply cant reproduce it.
And I can reproduce it at will ... and have provided you the files and login details ... I would encourage you to check it out ...

Quote:
Here is the exact file im using (maybe its something with the editor you used?)
Notepad for the one .php file ... your code that you gave me ... and I've sent you that file and offered the ftp details if you want to check it out in person <grin> ...

So we BOTH know <grin> ... that it is not a file editor problem <grin> ...

100% reproduceable at will ... 100% documentable ...

100% Consistent Day after Day after Day ...

100% Consistent with the last 5 plus releases ...

You have seen the files, you have the login details ... I can turn the module on anytime you want ... you can turn the module on anytime you want ... 100% reproduceable 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for several months <grin> ...

Sounds to be like a legitimate reason to identify the core problem ...

I would love to see it be a simple configuration problem ... but I doubt it ... or a problem with leaving something blank ... but even if it is something simple ... this is a long standing 100% reproduceible bug that really ought to be nailed ...

Greg

Last edited by greg watson; 01-05-2006 at 02:59 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Well, we are bashing heads here as Ive shown you that I cant reproduce it in any way, shape or form on a clean install. Heck, even on an unclean install, I cant reproduce it.

Yes, I have seen a few people mention this problem (you and I think 2 others). I have been to 2 urls that are exhibiting the problem but I have not seen the base files being used.

If it was so reproduceable I would obviously be able to do it on the 4 sites over 3 servers I have tried it on so I think its fair to say that I have done everything within my power to isolate any problem.

If you want to provide me ad admincp url and account along with FTP access I will look at your specific configuration.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well, we are bashing heads here as Ive shown you that I cant reproduce it in any way, shape or form on a clean install. Heck, even on an unclean install, I cant reproduce it.
I appologize ... I think you took offense at what I wrote ... I only intended to be adamant that I could reproduce this error 100% of the time on three different servers with three different web hosting providers ...

PM sent with all of your login details ...

Quote:
If it was so reproduceable I would obviously be able to do it on the 4 sites over 3 servers
Well <grin> .. I can reproduce it on three different servers with three different web hosting providers ... absolutely 100% of the time ...

The good thing about this is that it means the problem is consistent ... and has been consistent for almost 2 months through numerous versions of GARS.

And the good thing about consistency ... is that it can usually be idenfitied a whole lot easier than randomn occurences ...

With luck ... that consistent error is a setup or configuration error on my part. Hopefully it is something simple like a template that is supposed to be there that isn't or vice versa ... while that is my hope, I've beaten this thing to death for so long that I suspect its a legitimate problem ...

Quote:
If you want to provide me ad admincp url and account along with FTP access I will look at your specific configuration.

Thanks
Login details and ftp details PM'd to you ...

Thanks,
Greg
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-06-2006, 08:13 AM

No offence, just frustrated that I cant reproduce it no matter how hard Ive tried.

Thanks for the details Ill get to it today or tonight.