The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Uninstall, Rating & Display queries before purchase

Have read some threads here that state that uninstalling GARS in future will not remove the post content but just the additional fields added by GARS. Just to add on my question abt uninstalling, what abt articles with multiple pages? how does that work if i choose to uninstall GARS one of these days?

i am on the verge of getting this, but just very concerned with how this system is gonna be so intertwined with vbulletin that i may have big problems uninstalling in the future.

On a separate matter, can I setup different rating criteria (presentation, content, prose, etc) for each forum? Or do all the forums need to follow the one single rating criteria? This rating criteria is separate from vb thread rating field right?

So far, all the examples I see, the display seem to be the same. If i install GARS, I suppose it will have no problems integrating to my custom templates right? In terms of thread display, post display, etc. it shldn't change right?

Tks and hope to hear from you asap as i hope to set this up immediately.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: Uninstalling GARS does not remove post or thread content. If you use the [BREAK=New Page] tag to get multiple pages to the article, then you could have [BREAK=New Page] type tags in the first post of GARS related threads upon uninstallation, but there is an option to 'Supress New Page' to turn off the 'New Page' button on the editor. Multi-pages threads would still be multi-pages threads.

2: You can set up different ratings and then choose whatever rating you want in the type for a particular forum, and each forum can have a different type if you want, or no type at all. The GARS rating is separate from the vB thread rating. More on ratings can be found here and more on types can be found here.

3: GARS comes with its own default templates, listed here. You can set whatever templates you want to use in places of the GARS default templates. If you want to use customized templates, you can do that but you need to have some template customization skills to create the look and feel you want. You should also know, just as with vB itself, not all variables are available in all templates.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams