The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS RC3 Release Discussion

GARS RC3 has been uploaded to the download section for license owners of GARS.

This baby is a long way coming and I have been busting a gasket to try to get it to its completion stage. Well, its 99% there.

Why another RC?

The key reason is because I have re-written a crap load of the back end. Primarily the 2 key focal points have been with a module caching system and a better terms/phrase manager for enhanced international support.
Because of the immense amount of back end changes, it was imperative that I do one final push for bug elimination.

Before you get all freaky and giddy like and go upgrade, let me beg you to please check the README for upgrade instructions. No, the readme isn't done yet, but it does have instructions!!! Those asking questions because they did not follow the readme will be mocked diligently.

So, lets talk about whats new.

Well, from your view point, you wont see a lot that is new, however Ill still quickly recap them because I love typing.

1- Term system re-done.
The old system basically swapped out your old phrase set with keywords. While this worked as a pretty sweet hack - it left most international users out in the cold. Furthermore it sometimes left you with really odd looking phrases like "Hot Comment Review Ketchup". All right, I was joking about the Ketchup part. Anyhooo, the new system essentially builds up a new phrasegroup for each terms set you make which allows you to customize each phrase as well as translate it using vb's phrase system. I have also included a handy quick editor so you can avoid that clunky phrasegroup editor that comes with vB.
Sadly, this also means your query count goes up by one. Thats because there is no way to pre-cache a phrasegroup until AFTER the forumid is known. The good news is that its about the smallest query you could ever have and the even gooder news is that I have reduced the over all queries dramatically

2- Module Cache
Like with any CMS solution, queries can quickly get out of control when modules are added left right and centre. Hence the reason I have introduced some query control!
Basically, the results of the queries from your modules can get cached, thus saving you pulling every page view. I have provided some granular control over how they get cached (if at all) however this is really beyond the scope of this diddy. Suffice to say here is a quick overview:
On each module set page (for showthread and forumdisplay), there is a new option with each module that asks how it should be cached.

The options are:
Don't cache
Set for most mods, those that don't use the cache, or when you want to pull the data every time.
On new/edit thread
The module is re-cached whenever you create or edit a new thread. This is a handy option for the top module when it is set to 'Latest'.
On new/edit comment
This doesn't work yet. So there :P
Via Cron
GARS now comes with a cron job that will 'reset' the modules on a periodic basis. This is a good option for the 'Featured' modules and the other top modules.

How items are cached:
Basically, an item gets cached if its set to be cached (your settings have to have cache on and the module has to have a valid cache setting). What will happen is that when the module is run, if it has a cache setting and coded to cache, then the system will then save the results for future use.
That means that the first time you go to a page, you will incur the query. Once its cached, you will no longer incur the query until the module is set to refresh (for example via the cron job).
I think I'm rambling on about this now and I'm not sure if I'm making too much sense. However take this away with you: It is good.

3- I have done a handy workaround that save GARS calling the datastore every time you bring up a forumdisplay or showthread page. Normally GARS HAS to perform a query every page to see if you need it or not. I have done away with this thus saving the query unless you need it.

4- A whole bunch of other stuff that I wont bore you with.

So, whats the plan Stan?

The plan is simple: Kill all remaining or new bugs. This my friends shall depend largely upon you. I'm pretty sure we are pretty good to go gold at this stage, however I am sure a few bugs will crop up from the new additions.
As soon as those get killed, I finish the README, and optimize a few more code bits, we will be as good as gold.
This could be as soon as this weekend. It just depends on the bug count.

IF you come up with a new bug - Post it in the troubleshooting forum with [RC3] in the prefix. I think I could use a bug tracker.

Good bye, god bless and good luck all.

Geek Out.