The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder 
Default GAB - Possible to have random banners as well as everything else described?

Would it be possible to have random banners as well as everything else you've described in your products pages? I personally think that it would be awesome to have a percentage chance certain banners will appear.

I.E. say I get banners from my affiliates as a link exchange. I'd like those to show up only like %10 percent of the time, whereas the other 90 % could be split between adsense and Yahoo ads.

Is this already included? If not, how likely is it to see in the future? I personally would like this because I'm sure most of you know, Adsense ads sometimes get repetitive, thus receiving less clicks.

Anyway, lemme know your thoughts. As always I'm impressed. I'm mostly looking forward to GARS final release.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I'm not 100% sure I follow you. The system does let you weigh the probability of an ad appearing - however it does not random ad blocks (which I think might be what you are asking. If so - then yes, I too would like to implement this).

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:35 PM

So for example. You select which usergroup see's the ad. Let's just pick registered users for example.

Now I want:

Banner - Adsense to display 55% of the time
Banner - Yahoo to display 35% of the time
Banner - Affiliate 1 to display 8% of the time
Banner - Affiliate 2 to display 2% of the time

I think that's more clear now

What do you think? Is that possible?

Then I'd even like to have an option to customise further to display something like this:

Banner - Adsense 50% of the time to unregistered users / guests
Banner - Yahoo to display 46% of the time to ''
Banner - Affiliate 1 2% of the time to ''
Banner - Affiliate 2 2% of the time to ''
Old 11-15-2005, 08:11 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

That would require a random weighted chance between ad blocks.

The weight and random bit is built in for ads of the same type (images) but not ad blocks as a whole. Not sure if I can implimnet it exactly how you have suggested.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:02 AM

I'm curious why not
Old 11-16-2005, 07:52 AM

Its just not built that way. To do what your asking would require a pretty big code base change. Im not saying its not possible, or that I cant do some of it, im just saying its not currently designed to random (and weigh) ad blocks
Old 11-23-2005, 04:50 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Random ads would be sweet. I would buy it in a heart beat then.

Jaks