The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 07-25-2007, 12:27 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Assign threadprefixes via Drop-Down

Hi there,

I wonder if it is possible to have predefined threadprefixes, which can be inserted at the beginning of a title, simply by selecting it from a dropdown menu.

What I mean is pretty similiar to the threadprefixes hack, but a lot simpler.

For example:

I have a few galleries that members can use to present their artwork to the community. Now, I have established a name scheme for thread titles, that I want my users to implement, when posting new works of art:
It could be "2D Painting: Women in trouble" or "3D Model: Bike" or "Animation: Fluid Simulation" anything like that.

Well, I want these orange categories in a dropdown menu, that users can chose from and when they select it, it will be put at the beginning of their custom thread title.

Is this possible? Maybe using custom fields or something? I already tried the threadprefix hack, but it does not really alter the title itself, which results in the URLs not getting changed accordingly.

Besides that, it's a big pain in the back to set it up, especially in GARsed forums.

So, if anyone could help me out on this?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

there is a filter mod out that works like this. I use it on my forum at http://www.nysports365.com/forum/articles/ - you'll see it as the first block on the right.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Not quite

Well, I'm also using the filter module, but it's not what I am looking for. The filter module only filters thread titles. As far as I know, it can not be used for the creation of new threads.

I want a part of the title to be selected via a drop-down menu while creating new threads!

Thanks anyway though!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

^^I dont follow . I have mines set on thread creation. So if its a football article, when i start a new thread i have a dropdown box that i select football from. It doesnt have anything to do with the thread title. The only thing it doesnt do is set the football text as a prefix.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Oh yeah, sorry for the confusion... of course you can assign categories while creating new articles, but I need these categories to be part of the title.

Maybe one can modify the filter-module like that? It would be a great addition to GARS!!