View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 08:36 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.0 RC 1.5 Discussion

I have released an interim RC build to address all open issues before I head out of town for 10 days.

I have also left RC1 up just in case there are any showstoppers with RC 1.5 (which I seriously doubt).

This release has a few easter eggs in it which are not overly obvious as I haven't finished hooking everything up. Basically my last step before code clean up, phrasing and documentation is in standardizing an expanded set of types and modules.

Few people seldom realize the true potential of GARS because they limit it to articles and reviews. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to introduce a few more types to get peoples creative juices flowing.
Though these types are not completely finished and though you would need to manually hook them up, they are as follows:
  1. Manual type for doing on-line manuals, knowledge bases, etc...
  2. Recipe type for the odd group of people who are constantly requesting Recipe modules
  3. Link directory to create a... well... a link directory (more on this in a second)
  4. Release set for those who like the release add on, I am rolling it into the standard feature set.
  5. Potentially a couple more which I cant tell you about without killing you and since that is difficult to do while I'm away, Ill just skip over telling you
A lot of the plumbing for these type is already in (especially the release set and link directory).

Though I haven't finished tempting and enhancing the link directory side of things, its (for the most part) functioning here. The only thing to do there is to add a couple of buttons so its more intuitive to go to the site or discuss it (right now I think the only way to go to the site is by clicking the icon). The cool thing about it is the icon is that it's automatically generated using net services like girafa (heres a hint, you can try the service by putting http://msnsearch.srv.girafa.com/srv/i?i=%204ac8babd1cf73ace&s=MSNSEARCH&cy=en-us&r= in the snap.php module settings. Just be aware you would need to register for their service if you were going to use it over at www.girafa.com).
Go on and try it. You put in the URL for your site and it will generate the thumb for you.

The release system has been most of the way folded into the core package now, you can check it out in pretty much any of the add on forums.

Anyhoo, like I said, I'm off for about 10 days. I may be able to pop in here and there, however I'm not banking on it and as such, neither should you

I was hoping to get some tutorials together on setting up the link directory, but frankly I ran out of time. Those of you with some good GARS knowledge should be able to pick up the gauntlet and run with it

Take care and nJoy. Ill pop in when I can.

Last edited by The Geek; 06-24-2006 at 08:42 PM..