Thread: GARS 2.0 status
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 05:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2.0 status

Hey All,

Thought I would tease you with whats in the pipeline for GARS PRO.
Currently, there are a few minor open issues with GARS, however as I am in middle of coding v.2.0, I have found it difficult to work toward releasing a maintenance fix for the open bugs. Therefore I have moved GARS 2.0 onto my key development plate so I can address open issues and introduce some new cool features.

The key new feature is one that has been in the works for awhile, however the past week I have made some strong progress with it: Custom Fields.
This is similar to User Profile Fields, however they are designed to tack on to a GARS entry without the overhead of unserializing (which is the current method of extra field handling via mods).
This will allow you to tack extra profile fields on to threadbits as well as showthread pages and reduce the need to write modules simply to capture extra fields. In fact, 99% of fields captures should be able to be handled via the custom fields.

Custom field list.
This is a list of all custom fields. Forgive the stupid titles, it was for testing . This is 1 of each of the current types of fields on offer.

Edit field
This is a snapshot of one of the edit pages (this one for a textarea) to give you an idea of some of the options available.

Edit Type
This is where you assign custom fields to your types (at the bottom of each type page). This helps to lower overhead by only grabbing the fields you want for that specific type.

Edit/new thread
Here is a snapshot of a new thread showing 1 of each of the currently supported field types.

Other features

Im tweaking a couple other areas, however thats mostly centered around adding support for viewing rating results and percentages in threadbits.

When will it be done? Tough to say at this stage. Im most of the way through (about 80%). It depends on how the other 20% behaves. If it behaves well, you could see beta around here by next weekend. If not, it could take longer.

nJoy