View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default [not planned]Output

Hello,

This article system is great, but I have a suggestion that would improve it ten fold. Could you have the output page displayed as an htm or html file? Why would this be good? As most know, spiders prefer html. I know php is outputted as html, but I am referring to the extension. It woul be like an SEO. If the articles,tuts,etc. are outputed as html, it would be incredibly easy to create a sitemap, and get all of them indexed.

It would also be nice if we could use meta tags and titles in each article individually. I currently have a template I am using on my 3.5 RC2 that I upload with each new article submitted. It takes me all of 5 minutes, uses VB phrases and calls, but is 100% html. It uses the JS that vb came with, as well as my js for images in a pop up.

Adding articles with this system is great, I have the articles system from VB.org on my sites, but use my method on 3.5. My articles and tutorials are the entire basis for this new site, so I want them indexed thoroughly for the search engines which is why the template was created. Each article is uploaded individually to the server....manually. BUT, it does and allows everything I listed as a suggestion. It also uses userperms, since the listing of articles is only available to logged in members. Also, the article listing page is a vb page, so it too uses perms.

If a page is located via search engines, it can be read without the perms (for now) but that would be the only one they could read. To view the others, or see the listing, they need to log in.

Could this be done?