The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Geek Article and Review System (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   About modules, header images and display a list of article from multi category ? (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=537)

newave 11-15-2005 03:33 PM

About modules, header images and display a list of article from multi category ?

Hi « The Geek »,

First for all, we bought GARS two weeks ago, we made a lot of tests (on local with EasyPHP and VB 3.5 of course), and it’s really a great add-on, congratulations.

Now I’ve got some question to complete my test for our website.

Maximum height of header images : can’t make it working

I’ve put 100 for height and width in the GARS Settings for header image. But if I’m loading an header image bigger than 100 it’s not resize, there’s no error message, and so this big image is download in the header. There’s probably something wrong in my GARS setting configuration ? Or maybe it’s because I’m working in local ? Could you please help me ? ;)

Featured and Top modules : can’t make it working in "below threadlist"
In the "forum display" mode, it's ok in left, right, and above threadlist, but nothing append in "below threadlist". Do you know why ?

Displaying a list of article from multi category

I’ve got a general forum for my articles, inside it I've got sub-forums (category) : "article about camcorder", "article about editing", "article about authoring".

I create my article in this category (for example in “article about camcorder” when it’s about camcoder).

I’d like to display a list with all my articles when the user is in the “general forum” article. So in it i’d like to display all latest article created in “article about camcorder”, “article about editing”, “article about authoring”. Is it possible ? What is the way to do it ?

About modules

The module featured is great.
Is it possible to create a “featured” module that could display article from a selection of multi types (and not only from the article of the same type).

For example, in set mode, I'd like to insert a “featured-multi-type” module in the left collum, and I’d like to configure this “featured-multi-type” module with a list of the existing type, and a “Add” button to add all the “type” to display in this “featured-multi-type” module.

I’ve read the tutorial about creating module. What is the way for creating a module with just an include of a php file (this file is a list of links) ?
What about creating a module that could display an RSS feed ?

I know I’ve got a lot of work to do in GARS to create this, and yours answers will help me to make it ;)

Best Regards,

An happy user !

:)

The Geek 11-15-2005 06:17 PM

Hey there, thanks for the feedback and Im glad to hear you are digging it.

This could be because:
1- You do not have GD installed
2- You have an old version of GD
3- Your vB settings for GD are not right

Can you check on those for me?

Ill take a look into this. I cant test right this moment.

The top modules SHOULD do this if I understand you right. The top module (as is) as well as the feature module (as is) will pull from all forums set to that type. In truth I would like to actually change this so you specify which forums you pull from. Maybe this would suffice?

About modules

If I do the above, then I should be able to do this for you as well. Fingers crossed eh ;)

Quote:

I’ve read the tutorial about creating module. What is the way for creating a module with just an include of a php file (this file is a list of links) ?
What about creating a module that could display an RSS feed ?
THats all a module file really is. To be honest, your best bet is to crack open a couple of module files to see how they work - its pretty easy. Im afraif that the tutorial may have made it more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks again for your feedback.

newave 11-15-2005 09:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this answer very clear ;)

Quote:

This could be because:
1- You do not have GD installed
2- You have an old version of GD
3- Your vB settings for GD are not right

Can you check on those for me?
Of course, sorry, it's a newbie's mistake ;)

Quote:

Ill take a look into this. I cant test right this moment.
Thanks, for the moment I can't find the way to resolve it...

Quote:

The top modules SHOULD do this if I understand you right. The top module (as is) as well as the feature module (as is) will pull from all forums set to that type.
Yes it's right. But it's true that I was looking for a way to make a list like the default list of all article with image, title and synopsis, and I can't find it. I'll take a look to change the "top" or "featured" module to do it. I've got another problem : to display this list my differents forums have to be configured with the same "type", and it's a problem because I'd like to create a specific type for the "forum display mode" of my "General article" forum, and others ones for my differents sub-forums (category), that's why I also looking for a manual configuration in my "type" configuration of with forums (or types) have to be display in the top module or in the featured module.

Quote:

In truth I would like to actually change this so you specify which forums you pull from. Maybe this would suffice?
I think that it's THE solution, it's a very very good idea. The man I'm working with just told me that this morning. AND specifying the FORUMS to display (it's important to be able to choose severals forums of course) seems to be better and easier than choosing the "type"... I'm waiting for this great featured with a lot of enthousiasm ! ;)

Quote:

THats all a module file really is. To be honest, your best bet is to crack open a couple of module files to see how they work - its pretty easy. Im afraif that the tutorial may have made it more complicated than it needs to be.
I'll do it more seriously :)

Quote:

Thanks again for your feedback.
Your GARS module is really a great add on, you're answering very fast to ours questions (even if my english is not always very good), so it's really a pleasure to make feedback, and to inform other users about the way we're using GARS...

Thanks,

Best Regards...