The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Lizard Lounge (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Auction hack (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=191)

tormodg 09-20-2005 10:54 PM

Auction hack

Geek, you would forever be my hero if you could use your inexplicable skills and create a vB auction system that a) doesn't suck like all the others and b) doesn't require strange intregration methods and c) had a cool geek installer.

I'd certainly pay for such a product.

The Geek 09-20-2005 11:06 PM

hehe... Its in the works (very early stages). SImilar technology behind GARS (think a forum for classifieds/auctions so everythings manageable and searchable).

You will see something in the next couple of months (if not possibly sooner)

Its called: GeekBay ;)

tormodg 09-20-2005 11:14 PM

GeekBay? Riiiight. :) You'll be out of your hardearned before you can say lawsuit. He he he. *chokes*

I'm buying it whatever it's called, as long as it's not named after my mother's dog.

The Geek 09-20-2005 11:27 PM

Id love to see Ebay take me on beacuse of that. Thatwould alost be as funny as thar canadian kid taken to court by Microsoft - what was the site? mikerowesoft.com? They seriously couldnt go after me for something like that could they? ust because I make an auction script and have bay in the name?

hmmm. Must seek council :)

TheComputerGuy 09-21-2005 08:00 PM

that sounds pretty cool actually.

TheComputerGuy 09-23-2005 11:43 AM

Do you have a time frame like will it be 6 months down the road? I am looking at photopost classifieds like ISee on your site....didn't know if that would work.

I kinda like the GARS that you have in mind tho...

The Geek 09-23-2005 12:12 PM

I think 6 months is a reasonable estimate :)

I would LOVE to do this sooner (have had my mind set on it for past year) however I think I better focus on current projects.
To be honest - once devlopment on it starts - I really dont forsee it taking more than 6 weeks to pound out as much of the underlying technology has already been built with GARS.

In the interim - I think ppclassifieds is a decent product (but not without its share of problems).

HTH's

KW802 09-23-2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Geek
Id love to see Ebay take me on beacuse of that. Thatwould alost be as funny as thar canadian kid taken to court by Microsoft - what was the site? mikerowesoft.com? They seriously couldnt go after me for something like that could they? ust because I make an auction script and have bay in the name?

hmmm. Must seek council :)

Microsoft lost their case because the teen's legal name was "Mike Rowe" and, while I forget the wording used in the judgement, the essential item was that the legal name trumped Microsoft's claim. In the case of "GeekBay" versus "eBay" though, unless you can prove that "Bay" is a generic term used for auctions you'd have a tough time convincing a court that "GeekBay" isn't an intentional derivative of the "eBay" name.

The Geek 09-23-2005 09:20 PM

Any suggestions then?

GeekHay?
GeekOfay?
Geek Auction Ay?

KW802 09-23-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Geek
GeekHay?

Save that one until you come up with a project involving horses. :p

There's always "GeekBid" and "GeekBlock" (as in "Auction Block"). I kinda' like GeekBid. :)