The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Geek Advertising Banner System (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   GAB RC2 Release Discussion (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=1119)

The Geek 02-18-2006 08:00 PM

GAB RC2 Release Discussion

Hot on the heels of last weeks RC1 comes RC2 which should bring us into spitting distance of the final GOLD product.

Here is what has changed
  • Total rewrite of the ad farm. For those of you following the tale, I spaced off putting category restrictions into ads. This stupid little error caused me to have to spend several days rewriting the routines responsible for dishing out banners. Ill tell you what... it about did my head in but I finally got there in the end.
  • Ads can be limited to categories now (as mentioned above)
  • I have ditched the GAB_listing table
  • I have saved 1 query in the process
  • Fixed flash ads missing their width and height properties
  • Added a template option for when you use an HTML ad. This will let you have an HTML ad based on the style as per user requests
  • Phrased almost the entire thing. There are only a few phrases in the admincp that still need phrasing
  • Changed terminology from Blocks to Billboards as it seems to make more sense.
  • Fixed category editor bug resulting in empty categories that cant be deleted
  • Totally redid Debug option. If you are having problems, this is the place to submit info from as it gives me all sorts of info on your configuration.
  • Added click/impression/percentage view on banner display which makes it much easier to quickly view stats
Things still to do:
  • Create an option to not recycle ads if there is a shortage in the farm. (i.e. you have requested to show more banners than are required so a default one is provided to act as a spacer). Almost had this option in, but I figured I can get to that after this release.
  • Documentation. I know this is a bit grey and so Ill start on the on-line manual most likely tonight.
Upgrade by replacing all your existing GAB files with the ones in the RC2 package then re-import the product-gab.xml file into your product manager.

Bobs your uncle.

nJoy

Nick0r 02-18-2006 08:25 PM

Hey Geek,

Nice release.

Two questions I didn't see answered, A) Can you now use paths from already existing images? B) Can you put a line of text under a banner to explain it?

The Geek 02-18-2006 08:30 PM

1- yes
2- er. No. Was that suggested? Sorry, my memory isnt what it used to be :D I suppose thats not too big of a deal though. I can make it so you can use the HTML value for this. In fact, Im thinking you may already be able to do it if you ad $ad[html] to your GAB_item_image template. Then fill out the HTML value in your edit banner page for your description.

Havent tried it, but Im pretty dure it will work ;)

HTHs

attroll 02-19-2006 03:10 AM

I hate to burst you bubble. But maybe I am doing something wrong. But it still does not have the ability to have two sets of rotating ads. I can not get them working. Did you fix that?

attroll 02-19-2006 03:24 AM

The Page Can Not Be Displayed

I get a "The Page Can Not Be Displayed" error when I set my GAB Manager.

Man, I really hope it is me. Please tell me it is me and tell me what I am doing wrong. I can not get my web site to display when I set me Billboard Default to:
Categories = Selected Category and set it to Header Banners

I have 5 Banners set up in my Header Banners category. So they should work. When I do this I get the error "The Page Can Not Be Displayed".

But when I change the Billboard Default to this it works:
Categories = All Categories

DerTobi75 02-19-2006 08:29 AM

Great, you just released that, when I need a new Admanager so badly ;) Thanks,

Tobi

The Geek 02-19-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attroll
I get a "The Page Can Not Be Displayed" error when I set my GAB Manager.

How and where do you get this?

You get a page not displayed when it pulls the banners if you specify the category? Im confused!

Nick0r 02-19-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Geek
1- yes
2- er. No. Was that suggested? Sorry, my memory isnt what it used to be :D I suppose thats not too big of a deal though. I can make it so you can use the HTML value for this. In fact, Im thinking you may already be able to do it if you ad $ad[html] to your GAB_item_image template. Then fill out the HTML value in your edit banner page for your description.

Havent tried it, but Im pretty dure it will work ;)

HTHs

What I'm trying to do is something like this

468X60 BANNER IMAGE HERE
VISIT THE FARM WEBSITE TO RECEIVE A 20% DISCOUNT FOR ALL MEMBERS OF FOOBAR.COM

It works a treat in terms of click throughs and conversions, so I'd love an easy way to do this, per-banner.

The Geek 02-19-2006 10:49 AM

have you tried adding $ad[html] to the GAB_item_image template, then edit your banner and put your text in the HTML box?

Nick0r 02-19-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Geek
have you tried adding $ad[html] to the GAB_item_image template, then edit your banner and put your text in the HTML box?

I haven't installed GAB - and I don't think I will be until this feature is confirmed to work. I may set it up on a test server later though.